+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gunite already calcium deposits and small hairline cracks of both plaster and gunite

Default Gunite already calcium deposits and small hairline cracks of both plaster and gunite

Pool being installed. Gunite done 3 weeks ago and they tiled just 5 days later.

Gunite in some spots is still wet to the touch and almost you could say weeping water through. Also a number of calcium deposits all over walls. Additionally noticed some hairline cracks around the filters. And I can already see there is some air behind the corner meeting tiles and those by filter.

Is this normal? I understand plaster is what's supposed to be the waterproofer but these cracks concern me and I understand number 1 issue is leaks and tiles popping so any air is bad. And I've had experience with calcium deposits on my basement walls already and I know just waterproofing over them still ends with a bubble sooner or later with calcium in it.....

Lastly they plan on backfilling the pool and doing the concrete without allowing settling. Seems they're in a big rush to finish this job. Don't you need a few weeks to settle the ground after backfilling and it shouldn't be same day? Is there anything I can use to get them to hold off and allow settling?

Thanks. As you can see I'm extremely nervous. A huge investment and I don't want headaches when it's too late.

Any suggestions or comments are much appreciated. Or how they should fix this before they move forward?
    Last edited by getittogether; 03-31-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: more info

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Gunite already calcium deposits and small hairline cracks of both plaster and gun

I can't give you specific answers to your questions because pool building is not my forte, but I will tell you that all of these concerns need to be brought up with the contractor who's doing the pool now, instead of trying to get his attention after the job is finished. I understand that they're in a hurry because prime pool season is here, but it is a very big investment, and having to do repairs after the fact to a newly built pool would go beyond nightmarish.....so you are completely within your rights to voice your concerns and have them addressed. And whatever you do, don't write the last check until it's done to your satisfaction!!

Janet

Default Re: Gunite already calcium deposits and small hairline cracks of both plaster and gun

I left messages and they have not been returned in 48 hours... we'll see, I'm not letting them do concrete until the answers are satisfactory and I'll ask them to put them in writing to protect myself.
    Thankfully it's raining cats and dogs so they can't do the concrete.

just found out that my pool company is being sued and got called into the town of Jackson last year to discuss complaints. Wish the office told me that last year when i signed in September. Company is big name and had a great rep but it seems they went downhill is what i'm being explained.

Finally guys came without notice to fix whatever I was complaining about. They ripped off a few tiles and retiled and put something on the white spots and wont put anything in writing but said it's the plaster thats waterproof and not the gunite and that everything I saw was normal and they didn't even have to redo any of it but basically they were appeasing me (he was nicer how he said it but that's the way I felt). It was freezing the day they did this and froze that night we even had snow and hail, more worries.They are backfilling and doing concrete they said once rain stops and there was no need to wait. Looked at my contract and there really isn't a warranty on concrete work that I can see.Township says it's warranted against the guy if he did poor workmanship. What do I do or say, can I stop him and make them backfill and wait to concrete. Are there standards and guidelines they should be following or are required to follow for each of these things?
    I thoughts I'd be complaining about them not finishing, not rushing.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Bumping this post up to see if someone can help this poster?

My best advice would be just not to complete payment 'til they do it the way you want it done. As for standards or guidelines, I live in a state that is pretty lenient about stuff like that, but I'm sure it varies from state to state. Trying to bump this post up so that some of the members here with pool building experience will chime in...........

Janet

+ Reply to Thread