+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: J-channel holding liner in corner broke off, liner is sagging

Default J-channel holding liner in corner broke off, liner is sagging

The channel that holds the liner in place in the corner of my pool broke off. I can feel chunks of concrete like material between the liner and the steel wall of the pool. The liner is holding in position on the straight J channel pieces, but the liner is sagging in the corner where there is no longer a channel.

Is this something that I can fix, or do I need to call in pool company to fix this??

Thanks for any ideas.

Blessings,
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-04-2011 at 07:55 AM. Reason: edit title spelling
    Ted (TRHOD) North Canton, Ohio
    1974 Anthony 24,000 gal IG vinyl, Hayward sand filter/1hp superpump. (5) 2x20ft sungrabber solar panel roof mounted
    Acquired pool June 2006 Been BBBing ever since

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: J-channel holding liner in corner broke off, liner is saging

Hey Ted!

I've never seen the "J" hook on an IG pool but wanted to respond.

You've got to get the broken crete out from behind the liner as the FIRST step!

If you can post a pic of the channel (or PM me one, if you can't post pics), I may be able to figure out a 'band aide' for it, otherwise, look for a competent and reliable 'pool dude' in your area.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thanks for the response.

I closed the pool last year like this, it is still under the winter cover, and since we just got 3" snow yesterday, its gonna be for a little while longer.

I will try and peel back the cover and get some pix for you.
    1974 Anthony 24,000 gal IG vinyl, Hayward sand filter/1hp superpump. (5) 2x20ft sungrabber solar panel roof mounted

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

I have a feeling this is exactly the same problem that developed with my pool a couple years ago. That plastic piece the liner hooks on to broke at the curve in the deep end where two of them came together. Not one continuous piece. I attribute mine to the age of the pool, about 35 years. Still not sure what to do about it. Only let go for about 6" and what is there seems to be holding. I also didn't get anything behind the liner. I'll be curious what we find out. My pool is pretty well beat.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos View Post
    I have a feeling this is exactly the same problem that developed with my pool a couple years ago. That plastic piece the liner hooks on to broke at the curve in the deep end where two of them came together. Not one continuous piece. I attribute mine to the age of the pool, about 35 years. Still not sure what to do about it. Only let go for about 6" and what is there seems to be holding. I also didn't get anything behind the liner. I'll be curious what we find out. My pool is pretty well beat.
    Al
    Al,
    Sounds like we are in the same boat. My pool might have a little more age that yours, as it was installed in the late 70's. I'll try and get out this weekend and brush the snow off (lol) and get some pictures posted.

What have you done w/ yours in the meantime???? Mine is sagging in the entire corner and am not real excited about water getting between the liner and the steel walls of the pool.

Happened to my last pool and we bought new trim lock that foced the liner back into the channel sold at local pool store if I recall we had to heat the liner area to pull it enough back to get the extra length to get it into the channel. Then it pulled back out and eventually the liner tore in that corner and had to be replaced. Seemed like there was pulling to the area maybe caused by a small leak in the liner somewhere was what the 1 guy had said.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

GetItTogether....that's not the issue here. the actual plastic the liner hooks onto broke from the wall or coping or whatever it is called. The liner has nothing solid to hook onto. Mine is only broken for about 6-8" or so and doesn't seem to be progressing. My ground is so wet I really don't care about water behind the liner as it will just leave somehow. I had a pretty good leak at that end a few years ago and all the water found a channel to escape. But I did dry off the vinyl and used duct tape to cover the hole so if the water level managed to get that high it wouldn't drain behind the liner. Looks like crap but hey, so does the pool. Mine was built around 1975 I think and it's a Foxxx. If the liner goes, it is around 13 years at this point, then I have two choices. New pool or a demolition and fill job but before that decision I'll pull the liner and see what condition the steel walls are in.
    Al
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-20-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: messing with link-sigs
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

Sorry it took so long to get back with you all, since the snow has cleared we have been having showers and T-storms that would make Noah glad he had an ark.

I got some pictures, but I can't get them to post on here, and I can't seem to get hooked up with a PM function to send them to anyone. I used to be able to, but can't figure out this new forum format.

I'm gonna save them in an email, if someone who could post them send me an email to (edited by Watermom to remove the email address) so you can help me post them. I would appriciate it
    Last edited by Watermom; 05-01-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

When the forum software was updated, we lost the PM feature for now. It may be fixed later, but is just not a priority right now. It is usually best not put your email address on a forum. Harvesters are always on the look-out for email addresses and then they flood your inbox with spam. I am going to edit your post and remove your email address and then send it to Ben. He can help you with the pictures.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Reply to Thread