I have a Zodiac Clearwater Salt Chlorine Generator model C170 which is not generating any chlorine whatever. Everything looks like it is working correctly in that I have a salt content of 4300ppm and the meter reading goes to 98%, but the yellow light is often on indicating a low salt condition or cell is in need of cleaning. In my case it is neither. The cell was replaced last August and was turned off sometime in October. I just started it up again in Feb when I noticed it was not producing chlorine. I checked out the water hardness and found out it was over 12000 ppm. I changed the water 100% and the hardness is now down to 250 ppm. I put in 10 x 40# bags in this 12000 gallon pool, but it will not produce Cl. When the salt gen is running, the voltage at the plugin teminals is 6.7 and there are bubbles visible through the plastic casing. The temperature of the water is only 65. With the new water I have put in 4# cyanuric acid, which is probably not enough but I want to leave it 10 days or so to get an accurate reading. A pool store told me that unless I have a CYA reading over 85 my generator will not be able to produce any chlorine. I always thought that the amount of cya prevented the Cl from dissipating quickly, not that low cya in itself prevented cl production? Have I got a bad cell or circuit board, and how can I tell? In theory I could replace my cell with one that is known to work, but in the real world how could I find one for such a test?