+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pentair Intellibrite vs Hayward Colorlogic

Default Pentair Intellibrite vs Hayward Colorlogic

So, I've given up on my existing light as it's leaking for the fifth time in about 7 months. I'm thinking of ordering up one of the fancy LED lights, but I've got a few questions - hopefully someone here can help me.

First, anyone have any preference on Pentair Intellibrite 5g vs Hayward Colorlogic? Brighter is better imo, but I can't find specifications that list things like lumens for output... The "color" feature seems like it's probably just going to be a novelty, but they both do white (and I'm guessing a heck of a lot closer to my favorite 6500K than any standard bulb).

Second. Both lights mention that you can change colors etc, and also that there are "optional" control boxes (such as pentair intellitouch). Are these control boxes REQUIRED to change the colors and operate the lights, or is there some capability included generally. Looks like they're around 400 bucks for these control boxes, that combined with the high price of the light could mean I have to set my sights back on a regular off white light. If the boxes aren't required, how do you go about changing the colors?

Third. I've currently got a 12v light. The cable length is probably going to be about 65' (I haven't actually pulled out the old one, I'm just guessing roughly the distance from the light to the only junction box in the yard where the light must be connected. Everything I've read suggests 12v and distance >50' = bad. Should I switch to 120v when I replace the light? I assume that would simply mean replacing (or removing) the step down transformer in the circuit.

I plan to hire someone to do the work, but out of fear of getting jacked on the price I'll buy the equipment myself.
    Last edited by kelemvor; 03-22-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Default Re: Pentair Intellibrite vs Hayward Colorlogic

Found a local pool guy who says he will install it for about $150 (I buy the light myself, that's just his labor). Also he doesn't suggest switching from 12v, and does suggest moving the transformer to a location closer to the light. He's installed the hayward lights but not the latest version of the pentair which I'm leaning toward (should I be concerned? I'm thinking if he knows what he's doing then a light is a light).

Also I found in the users manual you switch the colors by flipping the light switch on and off a particular number of times. A little bit of a hassle, but worth it to save hundreds on a control box I guess.

Still looking for opinions on the various lights, any input would be appreciated. My daughter's 13th birthday is coming up and she's dying for me to throw her a pool party so I need to get it done in about the next 10 days.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

What brand is your existing, soon to be gone, light? Though most niches will take any standard light, it's a better fit if you stay with the niche manufacturer.

Also, $150 just to pull a light?????????? I can tell you how to pull it yourself - it's a 3 wire connection that I'm sure almost anyone could handle.

Let me know if you want more from me on this.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

well, there is no sticker on the existing light identifying it's manufacturer. I am assuming Hayward since many of my other pool parts are Hayward.

Here's a photo if that helps: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14865808@N00/4819933152/

Sure, I'd like to hear about pulling it myself. I assume it would be along the lines of disconnect it from the block. Tie some sort of string or something to the block end, and pull the cable out, then tie the string to the end of the cable on the new light and pull that back through?

I assume the pool has to be drained to a level below the socket for this?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

You're pretty good with your assumptions! Except for having to drain the pool - I've been able to do it 95% of the time without having to get in the pool (draining was never done).

Your old light has a 'halogen' bulb, most of them I've seen are Pentair. If you go with another brand's light, you may need to go to the hardware store and get a slightly longer screw for the 'set screw'

If you pull the lights yourself, don't forget to secure the string to the light cord with electrical tape (and I'll still give you a couple of other tips on pulling and reconnecting a light )
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If the new light is low-voltage, I'd go for it.

I KNOW they seal the lights, but no matter what full voltage (120v) lights in pools terrify me, even with GFI. I would never have anything but lo-voltage (12v or less) lighting in a pool.

Steel sided pools can have lights that are actually out of the pool but shine through a window, like a porthole. You can access and service the lights without draining water.
    Carl

Don't be lulled into a false sense of confidence by the voltage. My light is 12v and has two 100w bulbs. 1a of current will kill, and 200w/12v=16.6a WAY more than sufficient to kill, and for the circuit to work you're going to need a 20a breaker...

If it were 120v, it would be 200w/120v=1.6a. You could put a 2a fuse or breaker on that circuit and have a much higher degree of safety; although still plenty of deadly current capability.

At 120v though, it would be much easier for current to travel where it's not desired... and salt water only improves the water's conductivity...

In either situation, you've got to rely on proper grounding and GFCI protection in case of a fault.

The pentair 5g appears to consume 50w (or 70w in the white only model?) which would still draw about 4a@12v but only 0.4a at 120v (which would be unlikely to kill)... hence me thinking 120v would be nice with the new light.
    Last edited by kelemvor; 03-24-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by waste View Post
    You're pretty good with your assumptions! Except for having to drain the pool - I've been able to do it 95% of the time without having to get in the pool (draining was never done).

Your old light has a 'halogen' bulb, most of them I've seen are Pentair. If you go with another brand's light, you may need to go to the hardware store and get a slightly longer screw for the 'set screw'

If you pull the lights yourself, don't forget to secure the string to the light cord with electrical tape (and I'll still give you a couple of other tips on pulling and reconnecting a light )
    I'd love any instructions you can share. I assumed there would be some kind of stopper near the niche that stop the water from flooding the wiring conduit? How do you do the job without draining and not have the whole conduit full of water... or does it fill with water and I'm just wrong about that being an issue?

Also, I don't have a proper set screw for the old light.. the light was not in the niche when I bought the house and the screw was nowhere to be found.. the pool store guy's guess at the right screw was wrong. I'm hoping the new light "kit" will come with a screw.

Most (read ALL) lights have a flooded conduit, unless ground shifting/ freezing has compromised the conduit, in which case, someone may have puttied the niche to stop the leak and you'll have to remove the putty to pull the old cord out and install the new one, and then re-putty the niche when you install the new light.

The wires are very simple, the black one carries the current, the white one is neutral and the green one is the grounding wire. At your junction box, just make note as to which color wire attaches where and replicate that when you install the new cord. (but you sound like you know electricity far, far better than I)

When I pull a light cord, as you suggested, tie a string to one of the old cord's wires (and tape it) and pull the old cord out. If it's tough to pull the old cord out, either the electrician used a small conduit or the conduit has broken somewhere and the broken pieces are pinching the cord .

When going to install a new light, I unravel the cord - I walk around the pool 'unwrapping' the cord, so that there are no 'kinks' to get stuck at the back of the niche, where the conduit attaches

It helps to have someone 'feed'/ force the cord, if it get's stuck (YOU DO NOT WANT TO BREAK THE STRING!!) A little lube on the first couple of feet of the cord helps.

Maybe I helped with this, maybe I didn't - if you need more of my advice, simply ask
    Luv & Luk, Ted

I got the pentair intellibrite 5g. It's pretty groovy. Like I've seen on other posts, the red is a bit dim; for the price they charge they should fix it. Otherwise it's perfectly bright for my pool. On white it's a bit brighter than the old light with two 100w halogen bulbs, and it's really white so the pool looks blue at night instead of green (although it does have various shades of green you can choose if you so desire).

Turns out the niche in my pool is an off brand according to the pool guy and moreover is not installed correctly - I guess the screw hole is supposed to be at the top (to screw the light in) but instead it's at about a 2 o clock position.

The pool guy actually charged me less for the light than I was able to find it for online and with labor it was 600.

+ Reply to Thread