+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DE in pool

Unhappy DE in pool

I know this has probably been addressed before but I have been away from this forum for a while.

I have a Pentair FNS plus 48 DE filter system. lsat year I was getting DE on the bottom at the end of the season. I didn't worry about it to much until I backed washed for the winter(my pool runs year round in San Antonio) due to pressure. When I backed washed my pressure was still up so I tore apart the filter to do an extensive cleaning on it.

While doing so I found the DE problem was my Internal Air Bleed Assy. was completely disinigrated so I replaced it with a new one part #190091 which is a screen type different form the one before. I also cleaned my filters look wich looked OK until I uncovered the pool for the season and had DE on the bottom so I vacummed and it kept coming back but notas heavy.

I spoke to my local pool store and the said to check the grids real good and for cracks in the manifold. While doing the cleaning I inspected everthing and could not find anythin wrong with the grids or manifold. So I pur everything back together replaced the o-ring on the tube to the manifold and put everything back together. I also look at the multi port valve gasket which aslo seamed to be OK.

I am still getting DE into the pool and do not know what else I can do. My wife thinks if I keep vacumming what comes in becuase of the stirring and vacumming it will eventially go away, but I do not think so because it should be captured in the filters and not be reurning. I feel it may be the new screen type breather but it is a factory replacement. Has anyone else had this issue after replacing the Air Bleed Assy. or have any ideas on what is causing the DE to come into the pool??

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: DE in pool

Welcome to the forum!

I'll trust that the grids are fine and the multiport gasket is good.

How about the o-ring that seals the manifold to the return pipe? Also, are the 'fins' on the top of the grids whole and fully seated in the manifold, AND the fabric all the way up and, at least, to the manifold?

We're running out of places for DE to get through the system, so I hope it's one of the things I mentioned
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

yes I checked and did all those things. Maybe its the way I am vacumming? How should the skimmer covers be when you have two skimmers?

I trun one to close off the top hole and plog the center hole on the cap. The other I turn to close of the top whole on the skimmer and put the hose in the top of the cap?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Without one one of above things being wrong, the way you vacuum doesn't affect DE going back into the pool

Please check over all the things discussed here - mayhaps you missed a little something somewhere

That's the best I can offer
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thanks,

Thats what I paln to do, I don't know what else it could be.

Well today is the day I tear it all apart and try to remedy the problem again.

I have pretty much decided if I cannot resolve the issue I may replace the filter. I love the DE becuase it cleans so efficiently but I can't deal with the issue of it getting into the pool evrytime I do a filter cleaning.

I know there are pro,s and con's for all three but I would like to get some feed back on the type and brand I should go to if I switch?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I personally am a sand filter fan....my sand filter does just as good a job as any DE filter could, and if I needed better filtering, I can always use a handful of DE to get the benefits of the DE filtration without the hassle--this is a trick that the other 3 mods all use with their sand filters. Just make sure that if you do replace your filter, that it is adequately or over-sized for your pool and pump--many people make the mistake of buying undersized filters, and that will result in the pump just pushing the filter media back into the pool.

Janet

I have used de filters in the past and have found that it will find its way through any areas that it can into the pool, especially after a pump start up when it is wanting to adhere to the grids and there are any holes bigger than a pin in the mesh.
    Last edited by Watermom; 04-04-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: oops! hit the edit button instead of the reply button!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Sand! Sand! Sand! As Janet said, it does a good job, is easy to backwash and requires little maintenance, the sand lasts a long time and you can add a little DE to get a little better filtration. More here about that if interested.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=3742

Well I want to thanks you for all you responses. I made the switch to a sand/silica filter. No more headaches!!

+ Reply to Thread