+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Baquacil to Chlorine Conversion Procedure

Default Re: Baquacil to Chlorine Conversion Procedure

Day 9: Pool is crystal clear. Total bleach so far = 63.5 gals 6%. Pump pressure steady. FC dropped 1.5 ppm and CC unchanged overnight. FC drops to 0 by noon each day, so I added the CYA to reduce daytime usage. Slight movement in CYA yesterday. Plan to check it tomorrow. I'll change the sand in 8-10 days. It looks like the end is in sight.

Here are the overnight readings:

Thur 7:30pm
    7 ppm FC
    0.5 ppm CC
    7.2 pH

Thur 6:30am
    5.5 ppm FC
    0.5 ppm CC
    7.2 pH

Day 10: Pool is crystal clear. Total bleach so far = 65.5 gals 6%. Pump pressure steady. Pool has reached equilibrium: overnight FC drops 1-2 ppm, and CC is unchanged. FC drops to 0 by noon next day. Adding 2 gals 6% about 5pm, and checking levels after dark. Expect to keep this up until the CYA rises and I change the sand in 7-8 days. CYA still below detection point, but seems to be increasing. It's been 4 days since I added 3 lbs, and I'm surprised it hasn't registered yet.

Overnight readings:

Fri 8pm
    7 ppm FC
    0.5 ppm CC
    7.2 pH

Sat 8am
    5 ppm FC
    0.5 ppm CC
    7.2 pH

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

CYA takes a long time to dissolve even in a clean filter, but you'll be surprised when you change your sand out just how much goo the Baquacil causes--it's not surprising to me that the CYA is not dissolving and registering faster than that.

Are you sure you didn't do any backwashing after you put the CYA in?

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by aylad View Post
    CYA takes a long time to dissolve even in a clean filter, but you'll be surprised when you change your sand out just how much goo the Baquacil causes--it's not surprising to me that the CYA is not dissolving and registering faster than that.

Are you sure you didn't do any backwashing after you put the CYA in?

Janet
    I backwashed prior to adding CYA, according to the instructions.

The readings have been pretty consistent; overnight FC drops 1-2 ppm, and CC is unchanged at about .5 ppm. FC drops to 0 by noon next day. I think the pool is clearer than it's ever been. I plan to make final checks tonight, and change the sand tomorrow. I watched the pool guys do it a few years ago, and it doesn't seem to difficult (just cold and messy). Are there any gotchas? Is there a procedure I should follow? Thanks so much for all the help with this process!!!

Oh, one more question...I've seem a number recommendations on the appropriate CYA value. I was planning to shoot for 30 ppm. Is this reasonable?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Congratulations on your conversion. You're going to be so glad that you took the time to do this. When you get ready to change out your sand, drain the filter and then use a shop vac to suck the old sand out. When you refill the filter with clean sand, partially fill the filter with water before adding any sand -- maybe 1/4 full of water. This helps to protect the laterals and inside piping inside your filter and also allows the sand to be distributed more evenly. Then, as you add your 200# of sand (or whatever amount your filter calls for), the water may come out the top of the filter to allow you to add the full amount of needed sand.

One other note I might mention here for some of our new members who may not know this. It is not necessary to replace your sand every year like some pool stores will encourage you to do. I am on my 11th season with the same sand and I think my fellow mod Poconos is on his 13th year with his. I also think CarlD has had his same sand for awhile but I don't know how long. Just an FYI.

Edit: OOPS! I forgot to answer your question about CYA levels. 30 is a good initial level to shoot for. If you find that you are having trouble making it through a hot sunny day without losing all your chlorine, you may decide to bump it up just a little more. But, wait and see before making that decision. It is always easy to add more CYA but no good way to remove it other than doing a partial drain and refill.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I know this probably seems unnecessary to post, but I'll do it anyway since I learned the hard way--after you get everything all filled up and ready to go, make sure you start your pool up in backwash mode. This will eliminate filling your newly converted pool with sand. You can read more about my experience here http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...d-the-hard-way.......

but let me assure you that it was one of the worst feelings I've ever had as I watched my crystal clear pool turn into a mud pit literally before my eyes...

Janet

I replaced the sand yesterday, and added 1/2 gal 12.5% bleach and 18oz of CYA. Everything looks good, except CL drops to near zero during the day. The pre-sand check showed CYA below measurment level. I'm tempted to add a gallon of Leslie's fast-acting stabilizer, but I'm concerned I might overdo the CYA. Any comments on that? Now ready for some warm weather. Thanks for all the help.

Patience, patience, patience!! That's the hardest part of this whole thing sometimes!!

Your Cl is going to drop to near zero during the day until your CYA is there to protect it from the sun. I would not add any of the fast-acting stabilizer since you've already added the granular form, because if you overshoot your CYA target, the only way you're going to be able to lower it is drain/refill. Just add your bleach every day (at night if possible to give it the most time to be effective, and then again in the afternoon if it's at zero) and give the CYA a few days to dissolve. You've put all this work into a beautiful, clean pool--don't get in a hurry and create a whole 'nother problem for yourself!

Janet
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-20-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: link testing
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread