+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ascorbic acid treatment...pool temp?

steveinaz is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher steveinaz 2 stars steveinaz 2 stars

Default Ascorbic acid treatment...pool temp?

I've read for many iron stain removal processes that the water temp should be at least 65 degrees. Does this apply to the ascorbic acid method?

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Default Re: Ascorbic acid treatment...pool temp?

Probably, if for no other reason than reaction rates being much slower at colder temperatures. It's not that it won't work, but will take so long as to be impractical.

steveinaz is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher steveinaz 2 stars steveinaz 2 stars

Richard
    Should I wait for swimming temps?

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

That's up to you. If you do the treatment now, then you'll need to wait longer for it to work. The downside is that the pool will be at low pH for a longer period of time. Though normally not good, the same effect on reactions that are slow for ascorbic acid removing stains also happens for reactions of corrosion.

If for nothing else than the peace-of-mind of having the process go faster and where you can monitor it more closely, I'd personally wait until the water warmed up a bit, but that's just me.

10-4, will do. Thanks man.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Actually, I would do the stain treatment when the temperature is colder because the treatment has to be done with the chlorine level non existant for at least a few days and then the chlorine needs to be raised very slowly after and the pool cannot be shocked for a few weeks lest the staining return.
    Colder temps mean that an algae bloom is less likely or will not be as severe and easier to treat!
    (I speak from experience here and I am sure that mbar will agree with me! If you don't know who mbar is just browse the posts in this section of the forum! She has a lot of knowledge and experience with stain removal.)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

That's a good point I hadn't thought of. When doing the Ascorbic Acid treatment, one normally uses PolyQuat 60 to prevent algae growth, but the cold water can help with that in place of (or in addition to) using an algaecide.

That was my intention--do it while we're not swimming, and little or no chlorine is needed this time of year. I think I'll compromise and do it when the pool hits about 70.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Do it when the water is 65, less chance of algae bloom and it will work just fine!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Ok. Thanks fellas.

+ Reply to Thread