+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which kit to get?

Default Which kit to get?

I'm finally getting around to replacing the generic test kit that came with the house when I bought it with a proper dpd-fas. Is the Taylor K2006 still "the kit to get" or is there some better/easier one I should get?

Also, are strips still the way to go for salt level testing?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Which kit to get?

I haven't seen any newer/greater version than the K-2006. Taylor has it for $80, but you can get it cheaper from other places. In fact, if you'll check out this thread http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=10006, the kit is quite a bit cheaper and PF gets a donation.

I'll let the salt owners answer the salt testing question--as far as I know strips are still the way to go but I've seen other posts that name brand names that are better than others...

Janet

Thanks, I ordered from the link you provided. Good price, too ($55).

Kit arrived. It looks surprisingly intimidating. Time to read the manual.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Just know that it's much easier than it looks, and before long you'll wonder what was so scary about it!

Janet

So here's what I came up with first run:

FC: 1
    CC: .5 (I'm guessing due to the massive amount of oak pollen & leaves dropping everywhere right now)
    ph: 7.8
    AD: 11oz
    TA: 110
    CH: 330
    CYA: 30

The kit came with a booklet that goes a long way to explain pool chemistry. I wonder if there's a PDF available somewhere, it was very informative for me so perhaps others would like to have a read.

My biggest question is about the CYA test. The kit says to use 7ml water and 7ml reagent? Is that right? It only came with 22ml of reagent, so 3 tests and that's it?
    Last edited by kelemvor; 03-02-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The CYA test is one you don't need to test too often. If yours is at 30, you're in a pretty good spot. You might just try leaving it there. If you find that you can't keep chlorine in the pool through a hot sunny day, you might later decide to bump it up to 40 or 50, but for now I say leave it alone. You can always buy some replacement CYA reagent if you need it. For now, you don't need to test it again.

You need to keep your chlorine between 3-6 when your CYA is 30. Your readings look pretty good. The only recommendation I'll give is to suggest that you just use bleach for your source of chlorine so your CYA doesn't go up any right now. Also, no cal-hypo. Your CH reading doesn't need to be any higher either.
    Last edited by Watermom; 03-02-2011 at 08:17 PM.

I agree with Lisa that you don't generally need to test cya often, unless you are sing trichlor or dichlor for chlorination, which I wouldn't in your pool. However, you can get cya reagent in much larger quantities online, and occasionally my pool store has been known to give me some...

Janet

I'm on a swcg, but it's been turned down real low for the winter since I ran the pump every day for four hours all winter. Also, the sample was taken at about 4pm which is right before the system starts.

Also, I looked for the booklet. Apparently Taylor sells it separately rather than just giving the information away. Guess everyone's gotta make a buck! http://www.taylortechnologies.com/pr...entPartID=2084

+ Reply to Thread