OK, I know this is a "goes without saying" thread, but I learned a lesson the hard way today.

You can see my related thread:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=10571

Now this probably applies mainly to those of us in the sunbelt. I know you folks farther north have the whole winterizing routine because your winter weather is more consistently nasty.

But down south--I am just north of DFW, TX--we usually only get short snaps, overnight freezes that are easily satisfied by leaving your pump running 24/7 through the cold spell or by having a freeze guard.

But when the worlds collide like they did for me--sub-freezing for 4 days straight with lows into single digits at night and a pump motor that failed 2 days before the storm hit--you can end up with a mess if you do not take precautions.

Here is what I should have done and would recommend to anyone that finds they are unable to run their equipment during a freeze (thanks to Ted on other thread for a few of these):

1. Remove lower drain plugs from all pumps and filters.
2. Remove top of pump strainer basket and cover top with plastic wrap or bag with a few holes poked through it to allow water to push through but not big debris in. You can secure with rubber band or waterproof tape.
3. Do the same thing to the filter top as #2 for strainer basket.
4. On booster pump (at least my pentair), disconnect inlet and outlet hoses and let them dangle with opening downward.
5. If multiport valve (mine), position handle in-between settings so it allows flow through and water leveling. If slide valve, remove shaft completely and cover opening as in #2.
6. Cover entire area with heavy moving type blanket or painters blanket to keep as warm as possible.
7. KILL the breaker to the pool pad so it does not accidentally come on.
8. Make sure everything is properly reassembled before running pool again. Before turning anything back on, make sure all ice has thawed in the pipes and pump housings.

Now it is possible that had I done all of these measures, I still might have had problems, but I am guessing not. The freezing of the water cracked my main pump housing (no big deal for me since it was out and soon to be replaced) and worse, cracked the fiberglass shell of my Triton II sand filter. Replacing that filter, even though I will do the labor myself, will still be a minimum $400 hit. Add that to the $400 I just spent on new pump and that is a flatscreen for the bedroom or one for each bathroom and the garage!!!

All that I am saying is to use common sense. I did not and am paying for it. Hopefully, you never run into a situation like this, but after years and years of not seeing this kind of winter in our area, this makes 3 years in a row for more midwestern type winters. Plus, you know, Murphy's law always applies!!!

Take care and happy pooling, at least happy pooling in 4 or 5 months--unless you are the lucky ones with an indoor or heated pool!!!

Paul