+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Pool and New to this Forum...

Default New Pool and New to this Forum...

I have just recently found this site and was glad I did. Have been reading for a few days and there is some really good info here. Thought I would jump in and say Hi and tell you guys a little about myself before I ask too many questions once we get started here within the next month or so.

We have a small yard but it is what it is after tons of work we have done all through last summer. We had a huge tree sitting in the middle of the back yard with a privacy fence surrounding half of the yard. This all made for no yard at all if you know what I mean. First we had that huge tree removed and the 5 foot stump ground down to nothing 1/2 foot below the ground. All dirt/multch stayed as is after leveling since. It is hard ground now and some what level. Will need some leveling but it should not be bad at all. We replaced our privacy fence with vinyl fencing that now surrounds the whole back yard. We are very happy with it now.

So here we go on to our pool(s). We have had some Intex pools in the past few years that were small enough to work with what we had. Now that we have come this far, we are wanting to upgrade to a better pool and bigger size. We can only fit a 15' AG pool with the space we have and still have lots of room to walk around. Don't want that to be too tightly fit. I have found a Wilbar Series kit online for a resonable price and have pretty much made up my mind on ordering it by the weeks end unless I can find reason(s) why I should not.

It is the Platinum LXX model (15' x 52")
    comes with:
    Liner (Marble)
    Deluxe Ladder
    Sand filter system (22" tank w/ 1.5 Hp pump/6 way valve)
    Vacuum Equipment (hose, vac. head, adaptors)
    Maintenance kit
    Deluxe In-wall skimmer
    Floating Chlorine Feeder
    Through wall return
    All filter system pool hoses

All for $1,399.00

I was looking at another Intex pool that I was going to upgrade and inhance but after comparing the above kit setup, I was only $400 away from the price of a better pool. So that is what made me change my direction. I have always loved those pools/designs but never really considered them due to the price.

I will also be looking into converting my pool to salt water once the setup has been completed. Not sure if it is better to do it from the start up or to convert after it is up and running. Still reading about that part.

So any way, Hi and thanks for letting me join and I look forward to asking my questions later. I have also enjoyed seeing all the photos in the gallery!!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New Pool and New to this Forum...

Hi and welcome! i haven't priced pools lately so can't really comment on the price of this set-up but I will say that for a pool this size, a 1.5hp pump is WAY too big. Many pool owners think bigger is better but that is not true for the pump. You would do just fine with a 1/2hp. I have a 24 ft AG. I originally had a 1hp pump, but when I replaced it a few years ago, I had Poconos (fellow moderator who is our resident pump expert) pick out a pump for my pool.) He chose a full-rated 1/2hp inground pump and it has done a great job. If you decide to purchase this pool, get a less powerful pump. It will work better and be more energy efficient.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Hi, and welcome to the forum!!

I'm glad you found us, and know that you'll find some great info around the forum...just wanted to second Watermom's advice to get a smaller pump for your pool--if you can get them to downsize the pump, and possibly upsize the filter, then you'll find that it will be WAY more efficient.

Anyway....looking forward to seeing you around!!

Janet

Thanks, and I do realize the size of the pump is over kill but it is part of the package... I have seen tons of talk on here regarding pump/filter size and I am feeling like I have a good handle on it but not sure if I can get that changed within the kit. It also comes from a website that is mentioned here, Definitive Pools. So maybe if anyone is fimilar with them may know how much I can get them to work with me on this. Will be looking into this more once I get all the details worked out, figured now that I know all about he pump issue I can work that at a later time. I have spent quiet a bit of time reading the leveling, setup tips and what not. Really some great info here!

After much research and taking notes of all my questions, I called Definitive Pools and they could not have been more helpful. The packages "are" adjustable so I will be able to down size that large pump. They were able to answer all my questions and explain some why and why nots. I feel like I am definitely going in the right direction with them.
    Last edited by dbleblanc; 02-02-2011 at 03:48 PM.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I'm glad to hear they were willing to work with you--You'll bE much happier with the setup, and maybe save some money in the long run!!

Janet

+ Reply to Thread