+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question on closing

Default question on closing

I am pulling my pump today and I have a question. I have balanced and shocked pool, and I am now draining water out to get below skimmers. The water is now below the skimmers but has about another 3" or so to be below the returns. Is it recommended to drain to below the return and clear out the line and plug them also. I live in north Alabama so winter are not terrible.
    30000 gal 20*40 vinyl IG pool w/sand filter. ROLL TIDE

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: question on closing

thanks, I was just a little concerned because I am draining so much water. My shallow end looks to be about half empty. Just got back from the pool store ready with new plugs.
    30000 gal 20*40 vinyl IG pool w/sand filter. ROLL TIDE

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

2- 3" of water in the shallowest part of your pool should be enough to keep the liner 'set' Sounds like you've still got a couple feet of water, so it's all cool

The only issue is if you have a high water table or this winter's snow/ rain won't refill the pool before the ground gets saturated with water - in that case, the liner might float

I'm not trying to scare you, I just want you to know that the pool should be ~ full before the melt-off and spring rains occur

We're here all year long and you can ask us any questions you have.

Take care, and I hope you have a great winter!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

I have an IG pool too and never drain below the skimmer bottom initially and let it creep to mid skimmer. I do blow the return lines, plug them and pressure test for leaks, suck the skimmer line dry and fill it with anti-freeze, and pack the skimmer with foam pieces because it will fill with water and freeze. I try ane keep the water level high for the reasons Ted mentioned about the water table. Have a Merry Christmas.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

+ Reply to Thread