+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Concerns re pool never opened in 2010

Unhappy Concerns re pool never opened in 2010

Hi all -

Due to health issues, work travel schedules and an ongoing (never ending) house reno/construction project, we were not able to open the pool in spring 2010. It is an inground vinyl liner with Hayward super pump and Perflex DE filter, and we have a solid safety cover with a small mesh drainage panel.

Last fall it was closed like always - chlorine, drop level to 1-2 " below returns, blew out lines, winter plugged them, filled voids in lines with antifreeze - the whole program.

I am pretty confident there are no issues with the lines - every spring the water level is back to operating level after thaws and spring rains - this year was no different.

After my Summer of Personal Purgatory, the water level was dropped but I never opened the wall plugs or connected the filter. Because it is a DE filter, i don't have the option of bypassing the filter and recirculating - or I would have just to get more chlorine in there.

I know the spring of 2011 will present me with a bog fit for Shrek - not a problem - I have the skills to overcome it. Been a BBBer since around 1997.

My real concern is for the lines. At the filter end, I opened the valves to peek at them and saw that I still have pink antifreeze visible at that end. The water level is below the returns again thanks to my sump pump.

I really am hoping I don't have to blow the lines again. It was such a bad year for us all around, the thought of line damage next year would really be the capstone for me.

Thx everyone.
    18x42 Spartan Roman End Vinyl Inground (1981)
    1HP Hayward Superpump -- Hayward Perflex EC-65 DE Filter

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Concerns re pool never opened in 2010

Hey Kirsten

I had hoped your absence this past summer was due to no pool problems, sorry you've had troubles!

If you can still see the antifreeze, no need to reblow the lines

I hope you have a great winter and will be able to open the pool next spring
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: Concerns re pool never opened in 2010

Hi Ted - So nice to know my absence was noticed! ;o)

After I posted yesterday I went back to the pool and re-checked the filter end of the lines and . . . I didn't see antifreeze. Hmmph. So, if I get more and fill it intill it spills out at top, can I still avoid blowing out the lines? I was thrilled to see that in spite of the cold of late in lower NY that there was zero ice in the pool.
    18x42 Spartan Roman End Vinyl Inground (1981)
    1HP Hayward Superpump -- Hayward Perflex EC-65 DE Filter

+ Reply to Thread