+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 18' AG Advice

Default 18' AG Advice

Hi, first post, great forums.

Putting everything together this winter for an AG pool purchase and install in spring 2011.
    We have a large yard but the desired location for pool/deck leaves us limited options, I know an 18' round pool will fit but nothing larger unless we go oval.
    I spray painted an 18' round on the grass and all initial reactions were that it appeared a bit small, although I'm not sure if a line on the grass accurately conveys magnitude of the pool.
    The wife is pushing for an oval (+- 15 X 24), which I'm contemplating but now the price jumps drastically in that I planned to install the 18' round myself, no way I'm doing an oval.

Just wondering if anyone has opinions on an 18' round and how it is for room/enjoyment. I'm really hoping someone could share some photos of people using an 18', just to get some context of people and available room. I've searched everywhere for photos and there just isn't any.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by cramar; 11-09-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling, clarity

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: 18' AG Advice

Hi cramar, and welcome to the forum!!

Hopefully you'll get some AGP owners to respond to your questions, but I just wanted to make a couple of comments that were pointed out to me when we were first deciding on our pool.

First, it's hard for most people to look at an 18' line drawn on the grass and accurately picture what 18' pool will actually look like. You might want to consider going to some local dealers that have pools set up for display and see if you can get a better idea from that whether it's big enough for your needs or not.

Secondly, I've never heard anybody say that they wish they had a smaller pool. However, I've heard lots of people say that if they had to do it over again, they would go larger. So--if in doubt, and if money isn't an issue, I would always advise to go bigger instead of smaller.

Just my $0.02, which is exactly what it's worth......

Janet

Go bigger. As long as it doesn't look awkward or cause functionality problem. Costs more, but then it provides much more benefit. The cost difference has to be amortized across the life of the pool, then its not so expensive. Still only a fraction of the cost of an inground, and the difference cost less than all the other costs involved; pump, filter, heater, decking, patio furniture, lighting, landscaping. I gurantee the hardscape costs will be more than the entire pool itself, especially if you make it nice, such that the pool becomes a feature of the home, rather than something you have to explain or make excuses for.

I guess the first thing to ask is how you intend to use the pool.

Got a load of kids? Go Bigger.

Just want to sit in the pool with your significant other and sip on an adult beverage, you might be o.k. with 18'.

I have had 18' pools (yes plural) and went to a 24 foot round. Go as big as you can if you intend to do anything more than dangle your feet.

Hope this helps.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I'm with everyone else: Go as big as you can fit and afford. I'm not sure why you feel you can up an AG round yourself but not an oval--not much difference that I know of. Everyone will:
    a) Want a bigger pool, or
    b) Happy with their pool size, or
    c) Want to be rid of a pool altogether.

And when you have the pool the size you like, you want a bigger deck! I just expanded the deck on mine. Not a lot, but now you can get a couple of chairs or lounges inside the enclosure.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread