+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie needs help with pool closing

Question Newbie needs help with pool closing

Newbie here… I stumbled upon this site by accident when I move into a new house that had a existing 12X20 oval above ground pool. I never wanted a pool but thanks to all the nice people here it was actually a very pleasant experience without costing a fortune. In July when I moved in I paid someone to open the pool and it all looked quite easy as really didn’t do much and left me with instructions as what to do over the next week. Well after buying all the expensive chemicals at the local pool store I found you guys and you saved me a bunch and would like to Thank You.
    We now come to closing time and have been trying to read through some of the closing advice and I’m somewhat confused with chemistry, anti freeze, pillows etc… I would like to throw out my plan to you and see what you think.
    Since it’s not a large pool and everything is accessible I cleaned and vacuumed the pool today. The previous owner left a couple of gizmos a pillow that I have to find (if not I planed on using my wife’s AB Ball and something called a orb that is still new in the package. I was just going to back flush the filter below the skimmer and then remove the pump and lines (so I could store it in the garage) so that it drained below the return insert the gizmo throw in the ball and orb then cover. Do I really need to check the chemistry and ad anti freeze? Also should I plug the return line or leave it unplugged.. Thanks in advance for the help. Tom

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: Newbie needs help with pool closing

Tom, welcome to PF!

You have obviously done your reading and understand what's necessary

If you plan on using the Gizzmo, plug the return line - you can use a rubber - expandable plug ( #9 would work well for this) or a threaded 1 1/2" plug (like a SP 1022 - C) to do the job.

Putting the Gizzmo in the skimmer says to me that you want to refill the pool with free rain water, you can't do that if the return line is open, it's lower than the skimmer and, unpluged, would just let any additional water added to the pool flow out of it & also, any water on top of the cover would push the pool water higher and flow out of the unpugged return.

It's always your choice on what and how to do things Just be sure to 'run' your plans by us to know that you'll be doing things the 'proper' way.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: Newbie needs help with pool closing

Thanks for the reply Waste.... I really have no idea what a gizmo is or does... it was there when I had the pool opened so I guess it just went back for the closing... I found a new pillow so my plan is to backwash the filter until it get below the skimmer the disconnect all line to the pump and put it in storage. The let it drain below the return then put the plug that was in the return when the pool was opened back. Blow up the pillow tie it at both ends then put the cover on... Question..... What is this Orb thing that I have that says its for winterizing?? And what is a Gizmo??? Thanks to all

Gizzmo's are used to plug a skimmer, and act as a combination plug & skimmer bottle to prevent damage to your skimmer caused by pool water or rain water freezing in the pool skimmer during the winter.

We recommend wrapping the threads of your Gizzmo with teflon tape to ensure a tight seal when threading it into your skimmer.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

I also cut chunks and strips of eccofoam, same stuff as pool noodles, and pack the skimmer with those. Less water in the skimmer housing and much more room for freeze expansion. the gizmo itself is adequate but I like an added safety margin.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

So does my plan seem to be correct? What is this orb and what does it do? It's brand new in the package so I hate to see it go to waste. Living in western Long Island a mile outside the city border and just starting to get some leaves and pine needles so I would like to do this next weekend. Do I have to do something with the water chemistry during the course of this week?
    Thanks a bunch to all

+ Reply to Thread