+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pump basket lid stuck

Default Pump basket lid stuck

I can't get the lid off the basket in front of the pump. I've tried to turn it manually, tried a long screwdriver through the handle for more leverage and tried inserting a flat screwdriver between the lid and the basket to see if it had created a "seal" I need to break. I've had magic lube on it during the season. It has probably been 4-5 weeks since I've had it open. It is so tight that when I try to turn it, the lid and basket move together and start to put pressure on the inward pipe.

Any suggestions? Thanks
    Charlie

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Pump basket lid stuck

Try to loosen the pump lid a little while the pump is running.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

If the above does not work, try slowly pouring a bucket of very hot water on to the top of the lid. That might expand it enough to free it.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Well I'm sorry to disagree but the technique has worked well for me and many others. I wouldn't have suggested it if it didn't work. It may not work in every case but it really doesn't take a lot of effort to try.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

I'm 99.9% positive that Mark's advice will work!

However, one other trick is to open the air relief valve on the filter
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    I don't think "thedurk" is saying it doesn't work. His comment was if it doesn't work, try this.
    Oops. Sorry I missed that. I think I might need glasses.
    Mark

When the plumbing allows, I stand putting a leg (mine) just to the right of the inlet plumbing, as close to the pump pot as possible as a back up to the counter clockwise force you are exerting on the lid. Your leg keeps the pot basket from rotating with your screw driver (and lid). And steady force usually breaks it loose.

That, and using marks trick should do the trick.

When you do get it open, don't make the mistake of lathering up the oring with too much lube. (if your finger tips are anything more than just shiny when you touch it, its probably too much lube). If you hand tighten the lid (not necessarily as tight as you can), and break it loose often, you shouldn't have future problems.

Good luck.
    4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Factory Warranty/Service for: Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

+ Reply to Thread