+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radio Frequency Interference

Default Radio Frequency Interference

I have a Pool Pilot DIG-220, Serial DG0051316469. The cell was replaced last year (SC 36). The equipment seems to be operating normally. Water chemicals are at proper levels. My problem is that when the purifier cell is on I get a strong Radio Frequency Interefence from the Pool Pilot. This is a broad, noisy radio signal over the range of about 5 MegaHertz to 15 Megahertz. It is very strong and measures S9+40dB on my receiver. It completly blocks out any but the strongest broadcast staions in this frequency range.
    Is this a recognized problem? What can I do to eliminate it?

Default Re: Radio Frequency Interference

I'm not a pool expert so I can't comment if this is a recognized problem or common for your particular pump, but I do know a little about RF. You could try shielding it on the cheap by covering it with aluminum foil and connecting the foil to your earth ground. Alternatively you could put a grounded metal box around it for better appearance. Still, something seems like it must be amiss and this may end up just being a band-aid on a bigger problem.

Have you verified the pump it-self is properly grounded? It may be as simple as that.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

You should not be getting that much interference from a SWG cell. This is a guess but I suspect that there may be a short in the windings for the transformer feeding the SWG. This can sometimes cause a spark which can then cause the iinterference. Next time the SWG switches on, listen for a buzzing sound from the SWG controller.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Yeah, when the purifier cell is on I can hear a buzz that sounds like an arc.

The fans are not running and the unit is pretty hot. Are they supposed to run all the time?

Do you know where I can get a schematic and parts list?

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

A shorting transformer will draw more current and thus run hotter so no surprise there. No I don't know where you can get a schematic but poolsean might be able to help you.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread