I have a 2HP two-speed Pentair Whisperflow pump (model WFDS-8 #011523) that is acting up. It doesn't start all the time - and it seems to be getting worse. The pump is about two years old. It is contolled by a Pentair IntelliTouch (so it starts automatically - which is why I may not have noticed this problem for a while - although pump has been working/running when I check on pool in the afternoon).

When the pump is powered on, I hear a hum and and thump (or click) then nothing (pump doesn't run). After about a 30 seconds to a minute it will try again (and again hum-thump/click). This seems to continue until it starts or I shut off the power. It acts like it is getting overloaded and tripping an internal safety, then resetting (cooling?) and trying again to restart.

I noticed it this weekend but it could have been going like this for a while.

I turned off the power and put my hand down in the strainer opening and I could turn the impeller with my finger tips. It seemed like it started up on first time after doing this (Now I'm thinking there is a flat/bad spot on the motor winding), but it could just be coincidental.
I also saw a little squirt of water out of the space between the wet-end and the motor flange when it started.

I wondering if I should buy a seal kit and (something else?) and try to fix this myself, or just disassemble and take to a shop. Any idea what could be wrong?
Is there a "soft-start" on this motor that could be going bad?

Thanks