+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whisperflow pump problem

Hybrid View

Question Whisperflow pump problem

I have a 2HP two-speed Pentair Whisperflow pump (model WFDS-8 #011523) that is acting up. It doesn't start all the time - and it seems to be getting worse. The pump is about two years old. It is contolled by a Pentair IntelliTouch (so it starts automatically - which is why I may not have noticed this problem for a while - although pump has been working/running when I check on pool in the afternoon).

When the pump is powered on, I hear a hum and and thump (or click) then nothing (pump doesn't run). After about a 30 seconds to a minute it will try again (and again hum-thump/click). This seems to continue until it starts or I shut off the power. It acts like it is getting overloaded and tripping an internal safety, then resetting (cooling?) and trying again to restart.

I noticed it this weekend but it could have been going like this for a while.

I turned off the power and put my hand down in the strainer opening and I could turn the impeller with my finger tips. It seemed like it started up on first time after doing this (Now I'm thinking there is a flat/bad spot on the motor winding), but it could just be coincidental.
    I also saw a little squirt of water out of the space between the wet-end and the motor flange when it started.

I wondering if I should buy a seal kit and (something else?) and try to fix this myself, or just disassemble and take to a shop. Any idea what could be wrong?
    Is there a "soft-start" on this motor that could be going bad?

Thanks

Default Re: Whisperflow pump problem

I can't tell you anything about the electrical issues, but I have a Whisper-flo single speed that was doing the 'squirt' thing, the mounting bolts between the motor and pump had worked loose, I just tightened them and that took care of it. That was months ago, and still working fine.

Dan
    10,000 in ground, concrete w/PebbleTec surface, waterfall
    420 sq. ft. cartridge Pentair filter, In-floor popup cleaning system, 2-1 hp pumps (1 for popup system)

This morning it started up on its own (automation). When I came home it wasn't running. I turned off the power and manually turned the impeller again - when I powered it on it started right up. I bet there is a capacitor (starting aid/device - like on my well pump) that is going bad. Does anyone know more about this? I could not find any parts to service the motor - just the motor itself and parts for the wet end (seals, gaskest, etc.) after an internet search.

lastly, I can separate the motor from the pump and just take that in for repair - but if it is better to take the entire pump to shop, then I wil lhave to cut the PVC piping (inlet and outlet) which will be a hastle when it comes time to reinstall. How is this normally done? Does repair shop need entire pump to test/troubleshoot?

I don't mind taking it to the shop, but I hate not having any filtering on my pool for a couple of days (perhaps a week).

Thanks for reading/replying.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Before you go pulling it apart check this thread:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4800

There really are no dead spots in motors like this so I'm thinking it is the starter switch contacts. The starting capacitors usually fail open or shorted and don't usually fix themselves, but I guess it is possible, but unlikely, for it to go intermittent. I'd start with the contacts. It is something that is easy to try. Would be nice if you could pull the cover to expose the contacts and start cycling power to see if you can get it to not start, then tap the contacts.
    Hope it is something simple.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

From what I understand, the Whisperflo uses a permanent split capacitor motor which means it doesn't have contacts nor a start capacitor.

However, if the bearings are going bad, it could explain the periodic stalls. One way to check is the next time it doesn't start tap the motor with a two by four and see if it starts.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Very interesting Mark. Thanks, I learned something. The thing still has a capacitor but is not called 'starting' since it is always in the circuit. From what I read about this configuration is you don't have the high starting torque or high starting current of the switched configuration. Guess that doesn't matter with a pool pump though. I'm wondering if it comes up to speed relatively slowly and thus the pressure spike typically seen on startup is gone? Less stress on the system then.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

+ Reply to Thread