+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vinyl pool - construction question

Default Vinyl pool - construction question

I had an old neighbor with a 25 year old vinyl pool. It still looks great and I may go with the company that built hers. Obviouslty technolgy has changed - but hers was built with the galvanized steel walls with a simple "A" brace and then backfilled. Slab poored over that.

As I go to the pool companies today they have x bracing, cross bracing, pillars that support the slab of concrete and one company that uses IBEX construction (pooltown in Howell). Obviously the pools with IBEX and cross bracking with concrete tubes and pillars supporting the slabs are giving better warrenties.

My soil is very sandy so is it worth this beefed up construction or is it simply done so companies can rush the backfill and poor a slab and move onto the next customer.

Any and all opinions are appreciated. I live in Monmouth county NJ and looking at pool builders in Monmouth and Ocean county. I want to pull the trigger in the next few weeks but its hard to get an honest opinions on the new construction as most people I know have 20 plus year old pools...

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Vinyl pool - construction question

I only know that area somewhat, being in the Essex/Morris area. But I do know your soil is very sandy there and there are a LOT of construction projects in the area. Ocean County sometimes seems to me like a large flat sand dune that NJ built a lot of resort towns on, many very old. I still remember my grandmother, 50 years ago, would go from Brooklyn to Lakewood in the winter because it was milder there (???) I NEVER figured out the logic of that...

Still, companies that built pools 20-25 years ago that have happy customers are probably still good, but especially if more recent clients are also happy.

I'm no expert on this part: Construction techniques change and it may well be that both things are going on: Better, sturdier more supportive in-ground structures that allow a faster pour of concrete.

Happily, if you are going for a vinyl liner, you won't need to rely on the builder for advice on initial water maintenance--concrete/plaster pools require a curing time and you must follow the builder's instructions to maintain the warranty. But with a vinyl pool, our B-B-B methods are immediately applicable.

Still, I will defer to our more knowledgeable members on IG construction.
    Carl

Default Re: Vinyl pool - construction question

Well it looks like if we start with a fall install two things work in our favor.
    1. We take advantage of the fall prices and sales that are being run.
    2. I doubt they will be able to pour the cement patio before the weather gets too cold - so effectively I will have more time for the backfill to settle during the winter months.

Bad side - is getting back in the que in the spring to have a pool company finish the work You hear a lot of complaints and you hope you don't fall into that catagory.

If anyone else has experience with these beefed up structures: IBEX, graphex, x bracing etc please chime in.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread