+ Reply to Thread

Thread: blowing out lines

Default blowing out lines

Hi,

My first post. In the last 8 years, I have paid someone to blow out my lines and I'm thinking of trying it this year. I wanted to run through my steps to see if I am missing anything. First, I'm going to purchase a might vac or cyclone vacuum.
    Not sure which one is the best to get but I will get one.
    I will also buy one of these:

3 ft. Flexible Hose and 1.5" Threaded Hose Adapter
    ( to connect blower to skimmer)

Here are the steps I'm thinking of doing. I will post on the next thread.

Default blowing out lines

continued: Pool: vinyle 20 by 40 with one skimmer. two returns and one DE filter for skimmer and drain entering.
    steps:
    1- drain water 18 inches and empty filter DE and close. Place might vac in teh skimmer and start blowing the lines through my pump and filter to teh returns.
    2. Watch for all water to exit from two return lines and plug each of them.
    3. Watch for bubbles to come out of the draine for a while and then close the drain pipe (got these push down gates to close skimmer and drain).
    4. shut down pump and put that skimmer protection thing into the skimmer hole. Should I dump some anti freeze into the pipes?
    5. dump anitfreeze into teh skimmer.
    6. Remote DE filter form teh lines
    7. One the return pipe that goes to the two returns, shoudl I dump antifreeze into those?

Am i missing anything. Alternative is to just call the pool guy to blow out my lines. He usually does it after I remove the pump but it seems like I can just pump right through my skimmer and close everything off?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: blowing out lines

Hi and welcome to the forum! I merged your posts into one thread. It is best to keep all info in one thread instead of starting a new thread.

Also, new users are unable to post links within their posts unless Ben approves the link. When your posts came through the moderation queue, your second post appeared first for me. It had no link in it so I modded it in. Then, your first post appeared which did have a link. I then realized that the second post was a continuation of your first post and therefore wouldn't make sense without the first post, so I deleted your link so I could mod the post in and it would show up on the forum. Ben was not around at the time and I knew that just having your second post appear was going to be confusing. That is why I made the decision to just delete the link so I could mod the post in. Hope you understand.

Again, welcome and I hope you enjoy being a part of the forum.

Not sure how much those vacs cost. I've been using a Craftsman Shop-Vac for 10+ years and it works perfectly. I have a 6.25 HP model and connect the hose to the exhaust port. Works like a charm!
    Ken J
    Glenside, PA
    16x32 Inground, 20,000 Gals, Pentair WhisperFlo Pump WFDS-24, Hayward Sand FilterS310T2 (with occasional DE added)

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Shop vacs usually work for blowing out the return and skimmer lines but they don't have enough pressure for a main drain, if that's what you are referring to in step-3. Also be aware that some vacs have a pretty anemic blow capability because they vent some air around the blow port reducing the pressure at that port. All depends on the particular design.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

+ Reply to Thread