Default another cloudy water ?

Pool stats are as follows:
    40,000 gal
    cartridge filter
    natural gas and HVAC heaters
    salt water
    indoor
    plaster
    Here's the story, The chlorine level went to zero for about 2 days, The SWG got unplugged.
    In the same time the pool temp went from 79deg to 91deg, the guys working on the HVAC heater unit did not have the temp control set up. When all this happened the pool readings where as follows. PH-7.8, alk-90, CH-200, chlorine-0, CYA-0 this was friday.When i checked the pool on Sunday it was way cloudy. I turned the SWG up to 100% and added the recommended amount of super blue clarafier. Also added mustard algae remover. and the recommended dosage of muratic acid to get the PH to 7.4. Checked the pool later that night and was still way cloudy. added two packs of super shock it, it called for 2 3/4 packs but i didn't have the 3rd to open. Monday morning checked the pool, PH-7.2, alk-100, CH-200,CYA-0,chlorine-2.5. Checked the chlorine level 5-6 times monday and it stayed at the 2.5 to 2 ppm all day the pool stayed cloudy. Went to the local pool store and bought some non-chlorine shock, 60 dollars and a waste of money as it did nothing to help the problem. Tuesday was pretty much the same story as far as readings went. I kept the chlorine level up in the 3ppm all day tuesday. I added 2 more packages of super shock tuesday night. Wednesday morning pool seems to be clearing up a bit but not alot. Chlorine level is at 5.6 and holding there all day. the combined chlorine has been .4 thru this whole mess. the alk was at 90 and the CH was at 175 the CYA was at 0. Ive been afraid to add the CYA increaser in fear of making the pool more cloudy. What should i do? Should i shock it again tonight with the 2 3/4 packages or do something else. Sorry for such along post but hey you have to have somebody to laugh at right........PLEASE HELP

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: another cloudy water ?

What is the ingredient of super shock --- dichlor or cal-hypo? Also, what was the ingredient of the non-chlorine shock? If your pool is cloudy, then you most likely have an algae bloom trying to start. You need to raise your chlorine level up to about 10ppm (assuming your cya reading really is 0) and try and hold it there. Test several times a day -- at least 2x and more often is better -- and each time add enough chlorine to bring the level back up to 10. In a 40K gallon pool, it will take a lot of bleach. You may want to see if your pool store sells 10 or 12.5% liquid bleach so it will be less empty jugs to deal with. If you do use regular 6% bleach, each gallon (4 quarts) will raise your chlorine by about 1.5ppm. Run your pump 24/7 while you are trying to clear your pool. Repost with the requested info.

The shock is Cal hypo 68%. I will find out the ingredients for the non chlorine shock.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Ok i will beable to have a free time to dose the pool. How long should i keep the pool at 10ppm of chlorine? i will have from 6pm on sunday to tuesday at 6am where the pool will not be used. is that enough time for the chlorine to hit 10 and then come back down to acceptable levels to use.? or should i use the stuff to get the chlorine levels down? thanks for your help.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You need to keep the pool at 10 ppm of chlorine until 1)the water is clear, 2) the CC is zero, AND 3) you don't lose any chlorine when testing at sundown and again at sunup. Then you can let it drift back down to the 1-3 range.

How long this process takes depends on how consistent you are about maintaining that 10 ppm--the more frequently you test and add more to get back up to 10, the faster the pool will clear.

Keep an eye on your filter pressure and have the filter running 24/7 during this process--you may find that you have to clean the filter more often as the dead algae is removed.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread