+ Reply to Thread

Thread: de filter getting dirty quickly

Default de filter getting dirty quickly

I have a hayward filter and pump with fingers. I usually can get 6-8 weeks between changing DE but lately only can get a few days before pressure builds up and it does not filter. I have soaked the fingers in a Muriatic solution overnight and it does not seem to help. Is there a better way to clean these or could it something in my water?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: de filter getting dirty quickly

Did you soak in a degreaser before you soaked them in acid? If not you might have hardened the organics on the fingers into an insoluble 'cement'. You can try using a filter cleaner or TSP to soak the fingers but it might not help now. Since you said "fingers" and not "grids" I assume this is a bump type filter and not a backwashing one, correct?
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

yes it is a bump style handle. Would soap and water work for a degreaser? I bought a pool filter cleaner but they say it is for a sand filter but if I mixed it with water and soaked the fingers it might help some. Please if you have a good suggestion for a degreaser let me know. thanks

I actually found a filter cleaner/degreaser, I will try that next time I have it apart. thank you

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Bad news is that you might have ruined the fingers already and you will continue to have the problem with filter pressure rising fast. You might have to replace them.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I hope not, I will try the filter cleaner and if it does not get better I will look into buying a new top for the filter rather than to go through the trouble of replacing the fingers. Thanks for your help.

I drained the filter and rinsed it out with a garden hose and reinstalled about a week and a half ago and put new DE in and everything seems to be working fine still. Will probably close pool up this weekend and will take filter apart and clean it out and soak the fingers in the filter cleaner/degreaser before soaking it in the muriatic acid and hopefully everything will be good for next year. Thanks for your help.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Hi Spider;

What Waterbear was probably referring to are manufacturer statements to the effect that soaking DE filter membranes in acid BEFORE you degrease them can result in permanently bonding the grease (or acid-grease products) to the membranes.

I have told people this myself, but I have never actually verified whether it was true or not.

I would encourage to make sure your pool is completely clean and algae free before you close. If necessary, cover it and then filter and chlorinate till it's spotless . . . before you winterize it.

If you have to raise the chlorine quite high, make sure you leave the pool partly uncovered to the gaseous chlorinated byproducts that form as chlorine destroys 'goo' can exit the pool.

"PoolDoc"

I actually use Baquacil and make sure that that level is way up as well as shock and algaecide as well. I have an above ground pool and do not cover it because of the weight of the snow can collapse it.

+ Reply to Thread