+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DE Filter Cleaning Intervals

Default DE Filter Cleaning Intervals

I typically open up my DE filter and clean the grids in the spring (once a year) but since replacing the filter due to a leak in the old one it appears the new one needs to be torn down twice a year. Is there something different about newer grids ?

I clean the grids when I notice a reduction in time between needed backwash. I backwash when my pressure increases 8psi. So the tear down happens when that 8psi increase starts happening sooner.

Was I simply ignorant in the past and should have been cleaning my old grids more often?
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: DE Filter Cleaning Intervals

There are many factors that go into how often the filter needs to be cleaned. Most manufacturers recommend twice a short pool season
    Backwashing will need to be done more often when the "load" is higher. Everthing from weather, rain, pool use, and type and freshness of the sanitizer enters into play. The other factor, if you are using a chlorine based sanitizer, is how high (or low) is your chorine stabilizer?
    But...if you've had lots of algae growing weather (August is the biggest) and heavier than normal pool use, and as long as your filter pressures returns back to baseline after you break it down and wash the elements, I wouldn't worry unless it continues through the fall.

Default Re: DE Filter Cleaning Intervals

I tell customers to tear down twice a year weather it needs it or not. If nothing else, it gives you, the customer, the knowledge and experience of how to tear a filter down. It also gives you "eyes" to see if anything in the tank is wearing, aging, cracking, breaking, etc.

Theres no knowledge, or training, like experience.
    4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Factory Warranty/Service for: Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

+ Reply to Thread