+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solar Panel Question

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Space...

Yes, space is an issue, but I have to disagree with the system not warming your pool early in the year.
    We were swimming in mid May last year - Ontario - Canada - temps were 85+, and this with only 1/3 of the panels we should have.
    I started up my pool in early to mid april, put it on a timer to take advantage of the daylight hours to collect my heat, did not run it at night since you will remove the heat you gained faster.
    Sunlight that hits the panels will convert to heat energy, whether the sun is low on the horizon or not, yes, it's not as efficient as mid summer, but you still get heat, and judging from what my system provided last spring, it's plenty, as long as you put your solar cover on at night to avoid losing the heat you gained during the day - if you forget the solar cover 1 night, you're probably looking at 3 days to recover what you lost.
    Same goes for the fall time, all in all we gained at least 4 weeks of COMFORTABLE swimming.

kaybinster Guest

I guess it all depends on what you consider early! While you call mid May early, I call it very late. I just came in from pressure washing the winter cover on my pool in preparation for removing tomorrow and starting everthing up. I plan to be swimming in a week or two in nice warm 79 degree water

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default haha

Well, I guess I could also go outside and use my pool too, except i would be skating on it!

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Default solar panels

I would be surprised if the ice is off in May here (NW Minnesota) this year - long cold winter. We only have a 4x20 and a 2x20 for our 18x33, so I'm hoping that will bring our temps into a comfy range. Last year we had an 18' x 48" round pool with just the 2x20 and it kept it at about 82 average (except end of July when we had to run it at night to cool it off!) I guess we could always order another panel if needed. Its FREE heat, can't sneeze at that.

If its normal temps (whats normal?) this year, is it only wishful thinking that the 2x20 with the 4x20 panels will be enough to keep our new pool warm?

One place to get info on expectations, number of panels, plumbing techniques, etc. is http://www.powermat.com/

I used this info to build mine.

I got my equipment from http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/

I am very pleased with what I ended up with.

Whetwilly is offline ** No working email address ** Whetwilly 0

I went the cheap route last spring and bought a 4x20 mat off of Ebay. I have a nice southern exposure so it performs well for my 15x25 oval. Most of the summer here in WI, the pool was between 85-88. It sort of spoils the kids as they then think 80 is "cold". We experienced a warm (for us) summer last year so the pool was used almost every day. Many times, I didn't even cover it at night as the water would warm right up by noon.

Install was easy - I made a rack out of plywood and 2x4s. Diverter valve enables me to shut off flow to heater when the water gets too warm (it happend a few times last summer). 2 of these mats would be needed for a 27' round.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by kaybinster
    You really need about the same surface area in panels as your pool has, if not more.
    I've done some research into solar heating since I am considering adding it to my pool in the next year or to to suppliment my heat pump. The sq footage of solar panels needed is dependant on the direction of exposure with a southern exposure needing about 70% of the sq footage of the surface area of your pool, western needing about 80-85%, eastern needing 100% and northern exposure not being recommended. Of course these are just general guidelines and not gospel. One source I checked even said that a SSW orientation of the panels would be the most effecient needing only 65% of your pool's surface area.

We finally got our panels installed yesterday, hubby had a time getting the right size fittings because ours had to be placed about 50' from the pump.

A couple questions:

1. Do I just need to turn them on when the sun is directly on them or is any daylight okay?

2. My pump pressure raised about 4 psi when we connected them up, is this okay?

TIA!

p.s. I was amazed at the difference in the warmth of the water coming from the return.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

OK,
    I have a very simple answer to whether you should run your panels or not:
    If the water coming from the panels is warmer than the pool, by even the slightest amount, you should run them. BTUs are what you want, temp is less important. ANY warming of your pool is A Good Thing, and every BTU you can grab from the panels brings you closer to your target warmth.

A 4lb increase is not much at all--be happy!
    Carl

I just bought one of the 4x20 panels on Ebay... (what the heck).

My original plan was to make a frame using PVC, but I've seen posts about wood frames. Does the unit need a hard backing or can it hang from PVC? I was looking to keep it light so I can put it in the garage when not in use.

Robert

+ Reply to Thread