+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Subscriber, Happy Reader w/ a clear pool

Talking New Subscriber, Happy Reader w/ a clear pool

I looked for a place to post "THANKS" posts & didn't find one, so Mods please feel free to move this if I over-looked it.

A BIG THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! to everyone! This is our first year with a pool (12'x36" donut) and I had NO idea what to do with it. Of course it turned green instantly. We got a SWG. Could not keep chlorine levels up and the ph was off the chart high.

Searching, I found this site and started reading and reading and reading. I was a bit over-whelmed but the pool calculator and the BBBs for beginners both helped ease my mind. And I got started on getting the pool under control.

Then we had a storm with rain and wind, which emptied 1/2 of the water. Refilled it with our "lovely" well water (lots of iron and hard water). Yup, you guessed it. "Iced Tea" colored water as soon as I shocked it (with bleach). Dh was dismayed but from reading here I knew it was just a matter of time and we'd have a clear pool.

It's been about 10 days. I've shocked it 3 times, added CYA, added muriatic acid (still working on the PH/Alkaline level) and we have a crystal-clear pool!!!

I had to come back and Support PF and thank you all for your help. Dh was ready to dump it and sell it and now he's happy to get in and soak away his cares.

K~
    12' "donut" pool & SWG

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New Subscriber, Happy Reader w/ a clear pool

Isn't it amazing how easy it can be to maintain a pool? Glad you got the basics under your belt and can keep your pool well cared for. Thanks for becoming a subscriber and supporting PF and also thanks for your nice post! Now it is time to enjoy the pool!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Now it is time to enjoy the pool!
    And THAT is what this forum is REALLY all about!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

No pool is too small if you can get in it and enjoy it!

Pool care is the servant of POOL FUN!!!!
    Carl

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Talking Re: New Subscriber, Happy Reader w/ a clear pool

I also Registered / Subscribed to say Thanks! - Thanks!

I've been lurking around here as a guest for a couple years now, learning enough to keep our backyard bag of water clean and safe. I wanted to support the site by buying a test kit but by the time I tried, I couldn't. I also couldn't register to post but no real need as reading the site gave me every answer I needed. The Mods, Ben and this site are awesome! Clear, rational, thoughtful - it all feels uncomfortable - good, but strange.

Thanks
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Hi, Dave!
    Thanks for subscribing! Every person that subscribes helps us keep the forum alive! Also, thanks for the kind words. Only one part I don't understand.

You wrote:
    "Clear, rational, thoughtful - it all feels uncomfortable - good, but strange.

At any rate, thanks again. Glad to have you as a member of our forum!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Red face Re: New Subscriber, Happy Reader w/ a clear pool

Sorry,
    Not uncomfortable here at the Pool Forum, but as much of the "information" content on the Internet becomes more "infomercial", finding clear, rational, and thoughtful discourse and advice feels strange by comparison.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

K & BigDave,
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words and support. Makes us feel good the forum was kept alive and we hope it can stay alive.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

+ Reply to Thread