+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Removing Cyanuric Acid from a pool

Question Removing Cyanuric Acid from a pool

I am a bit confused. Is the ONLY way to remove CYA from a pool to drain the water? I ask this because we are thinking of either taking our pool down (no longer gets used), or converting it to a pond. I have to remove all the chemicals from the water beforehand if we do that, because of the fish that would go in. It should be fairly simple, since I only use bleach and baking soda. The chlorine would be gone rapidly. Don't know about the baking soda, but doubt that would harm anything. But the CYA is a different story.

I am always shocked each spring when I open my pool, because according to my test results (Ben's kit) AND the pool store (I just use them to double check MY readings), my CYA is always gone. Prior to closing in the fall, it is usually around 30. So where does it go over winter if I am only draining about 4 inches of water from the pool to close it? Just curious.

You are all probably shocked we would consider turning our pool into a pond. It's a long story, but if anybody really wants to know, you can feel free to email me.

Anyhow, bottom line for now......do I need to drain the pool to remove CYA? I have been searching the net to see what affect CYA would have on fish, but haven't found any info at all.

Thanks!

Sandy

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Removing Cyanuric Acid from a pool

The only easy way to remove the CYA is to drain and refill. CYA can be degraded by some anaerobic bacteria (that can flourish in a closed pool) into ammonia and other nitrogen compounds that can be very toxic to fish until they are eventually converted into nitrate (algae food). If you can establish good biological filtration in your "pond" to get rid of these nitrogen compounds and ammonia first you can then stock it with fish successfully BUT, IMHO, it is probably much easier and faster to drain and refill.

Baking soda is used in Aquaria to increase TA just like in a pool so it should not be a problem as long as the TA is adjusted to a range you fish are happy with.

Chlorine is the least of the problems and the easiest to deal with. Shock and expose to sunlight to destroy any CC then let the chlorine drop to 0.

If you ever used any algaecide it could be a problem, depending on what is left in the water. For fish ponds, believe it or not, copper is probably the least problematic for fish as long as the levels are not too high.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

In other words you have 3 choices:

1) Drain and refill to dilute the CYA to a desirable level.

2) Learn to maintain a high-CYA pool--we have guidelines for how to do that.

3) Allow your pool to become a smelly, mosquito-breeding algae-ridden swamp for a month and have to clean the mess up.

Sadly, that's about it....
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    In other words you have 3 choices:

1) Drain and refill to dilute the CYA to a desirable level.

2) Learn to maintain a high-CYA pool--we have guidelines for how to do that.

3) Allow your pool to become a smelly, mosquito-breeding algae-ridden swamp for a month and have to clean the mess up.

Sadly, that's about it....
    2 wont work for them. They want to convert the pool into a pond with fish.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Then I cannot help.

This is a swimming pool forum, not a fish pond forum!
    Carl

Then I cannot help.

This is a swimming pool forum, not a fish pond forum!
    Sorry, Carl, but I was just trying to get accurate info on how to remove all the CYA from my pool....not trying to turn it into a pond forum or get pond advice.

I will test next Spring and go from there. If it's like usual, it will have all "magically disappeared" over the Winter, so I won't need to drain.

Thanks.

I was JOKING!

(Could you name your fish "Sushi", "Sashimi", "Nigiri", and "Ceviche" for me?)
    Carl

Wink Re: Removing Cyanuric Acid from a pool

I was JOKING!

(Could you name your fish "Sushi", "Sashimi", "Nigiri", and "Ceviche" for me?)
    Very cute!

Name one Lox for me!

Don't forget Bacala

+ Reply to Thread