I am a bit confused. Is the ONLY way to remove CYA from a pool to drain the water? I ask this because we are thinking of either taking our pool down (no longer gets used), or converting it to a pond. I have to remove all the chemicals from the water beforehand if we do that, because of the fish that would go in. It should be fairly simple, since I only use bleach and baking soda. The chlorine would be gone rapidly. Don't know about the baking soda, but doubt that would harm anything. But the CYA is a different story.

I am always shocked each spring when I open my pool, because according to my test results (Ben's kit) AND the pool store (I just use them to double check MY readings), my CYA is always gone. Prior to closing in the fall, it is usually around 30. So where does it go over winter if I am only draining about 4 inches of water from the pool to close it? Just curious.

You are all probably shocked we would consider turning our pool into a pond. It's a long story, but if anybody really wants to know, you can feel free to email me.

Anyhow, bottom line for now......do I need to drain the pool to remove CYA? I have been searching the net to see what affect CYA would have on fish, but haven't found any info at all.

Thanks!

Sandy