+ Reply to Thread

Thread: General question regarding suction and intakes

Default General question regarding suction and intakes

This question relates to pressure/suction from the pump that seems to be interfering with my Hayward DC200 vacuum.

In another thread regarding Hayward DC-200 Sunray, I described a problem that I have with the unit. Specifically that the unit works but seems to "zero" in on the grate at the bottom of the pool. The suction is too strong and I frequently have to nudge off the vacuum with my brush. Inevitably, the vacuum makes it back to the bottom.

I wrote about this frustration in a review of the product on Amazon. The product seems fine, but the directions and available help from Hayward were the topics of the review...

I was thinking that there was a setting on the vacuum. However another Amazon poster suggested that the suction on the bottom of the pool could be lessened to prevent just such a problem.

Can this be done? I am looking for any/all advice that would help me prevent the frustration of spending money on the vacuum that just sits on the grate.

Thanks,
    Scott "guywhoistoobusy"

__________________________________________________ ___________________
    Homeowner, first pool, 20,000 gallons, BBB since 2 weeks after buying the house!

Default Re: General question regarding suction and intakes

In your pool pump/filter area you should have two sets of jandy valves (hopefully labelled). One set is for your pool intakes and leads into the pump. Another set is for the pressure side (pool returns, jets, etc). You should be able to partially close the valve to the main drain on the suction side, though it would be wise to also make sure any other suction ports are all the way open (skimmers, spa drain, etc)

Thanks for the comment. I think this will help. I located the valves that you've mentioned and tried to see directions online (but only found schematics - not directions on how to adjust anything).

I have 2 inputs (the skimmer and the grate). I don' t have a spa.

Do I need to have the pump off to adjust the flow? Besides having someone sit there with their hands in the skimmer intake, is there a way to know that the suction has changed?

Finally, is there a way to know that any adjustments I have made are not negatively impacting my pump? I cannot afford to replace a pump now - especially if it comes at the cost of my own negligence!

Thanks for all of the pool support!

Guywhoistoobusy

I am too eager...

I just went out to check out the valve. It appears to be completely set for the skimmer intake, not the pool grate. So the suction at the bottom of the pool is not impeding my Hayward DC200 Sunray vacuum. I am back to square one.

That exhausts my initial question in this thread.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

The fact that you are drawing entirely from the skimmer is probably the reason there is too much suction on the cleaner. Try adjusting the valve such that some of the draw is from the main drain instead of all from the skimmer. The cleaner will pass over the main drain occasionally and if the suction from the cleaner is too high it can get caught up. The slight increase in main drain suction should not affect the cleaner that much since it is usually distributed over a larger area.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thanks for the tip. I will try it out. Without instructions for the Jandy valve, I didn't know one could split the flow. I want to love my Sunray - it just keeps sticking to the grate. I hope this will fix it!

+ Reply to Thread