+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Seapool? Nope - C-Pool!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Seapool?

Ok, Here's the answer:

NOBODY swim in this fool's pool!

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

(this is one of my two favorite quotes.)
    Carl

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Seapool? Nope - C-Pool!

Your guy apparently has only heard about the product, and not read about it. It's "C-Pool", not "Seapool".

Here are the links:
    http://www.debmar.com/pool/faq.html
    http://www.c-pool.ca/
    The treatment program is just a typical chlorine + copper program:

from the c-pool.ca site:
    * Add 3.5g (1/8 oz.) of C-POOL per 4,500 L (1,000 gal.) of pool water (an additional 0.03 ppm) to maintain a minimum reading of 0.5 ppm Copper. This amount will normally be sufficient, depending on water loss from backwashing the filter etc
    * Check Copper reading. Use readily available test kits to ensure copper levels are maintained at 0.5 ppm to 1.0 ppm (do not exceed 1.0 pmm copper)
    * Add chlorine to achieve an ideal reading of 1.5 ppm. IF using a Brominator or Chlorinator, fill and place on lowest setting
    * Check and adjust pH to 7.2
    ( http://www.c-pool.ca/howtouse.html )

Ben

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

right off their websites FAQ:
    "Is the C-Pool Mineral Treatment safe?
    Yes. C-Pool Mineral Treatment is registered by the Canadian Government as a Mineral Algaecide for pools and spas."

Empahsis mine! Not once do they claim it is a sanitizer.

This page is good for laughs. In one sentence they say the 'mineral' in c-pool ( is that short for copper pool or cesspool?) kills algae and in the next say they are essential for plant growth. Last time I checked algae was a plant.

Deja Vu, does anyone remember SimplyBluePools

Check out some of the other products that Debmar sells! Besides buckets of copper sulfate they also sell electromagnets for horses, dogs, and people and silicone breast enhancers (I think they call them 'falsies').

The only "pool product" they sell is c-pool. I think that says it all (along with the falsies!)

EDIT: Here is the original patent for c-pool.
    As you can see it's just a mixture of copper sulfate, alum, soda ash, and salt. It's just an algaecide/floc combo.

This page from the patent shows a real lack of chemical understanding of the product, especially when it states near the top of the third page "Salt crystals can be added as a source of chlorine."

I find it interesting that this product is only sold in Canada and not the US (although we do have the similar EZ Pool and Pristine Blue "systems").
    Last edited by waterbear; 07-25-2010 at 03:38 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

As shown here, "C-POOL MINERAL TREATMENT" is registered as a "SWIMMING POOL ALGICIDE", not as a bactericide. Clicking on their registration number link (you need to open this saved link as a PDF file) gives their label information where the product has 12.5% copper sulphate pentahydrate (3.125% copper as metallic). There is an explicit "WARNING: Staining of pool surfaces may occur due to deposits of copper salts. Excessive levels of copper will increase the probability of this occurrence."

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

If you want to "mix your own" the 4th page of the patent description gives the formula!

All you need (for every 10k gallons of water) is:
    10 oz. of "bluestone" (copper sulfate pentahydrate)
    1.5 lbs alum (used as floc in pools for years!)
    2 oz. of salt (according to the patent, sodium chloride is a chlorine source because it supplies Cl- ions! Scary! )
    1 lb soda (Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda or some pH up)

(Kids, don't try this at home!)
    Last edited by waterbear; 07-25-2010 at 03:51 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

LOL. That's case closed. I read the C-Pool website, and it is pretty reasonable and they are selling it as a supplement algecide and not to replace chlorine. I'll blame the messenger this time, and not the pool stuff company.
    IG 32' x 16', vinyl 19,500 l, Sand filter, Hawyard Low NOx 250,000 btu heater
    Heating? Great info on why a solar cover saves $$$?
    http://energy.gov/energysaver/articl...ng-pool-covers

Ohm_Boy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Ohm_Boy 0

This thread reminds me of a couple of images I've seen about arguing over the internet... Just sayin'.

+ Reply to Thread