+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Goldline says salt too high?

Default Goldline says salt too high?

I have a Bluehaven branded Goldline salt system, bought a compucell generic cell for it, worked fine till about 3 months ago(temp sensor went in the cell, they replaced it under warranty. New cell tested fine at the pool store, but my control panel keeps reporting high salt(over 4400).. water test shows I am at 2400-2600, I have zeroed out the memory on the goldline to let it relearn but it goes right back to high and never makes any cholrine. Is this the generic cell maybe? Is the cell what reports the salt level or does that come from the flow sensor?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Goldline says salt too high?

Poolsean knows more, but unless you hear from him, I'd recommend ignoring the salt test for now, and replacing some water to see if doing so lowers the salt reading.

If you replace 1/5 of your water, but don't see a change in the salt level . . . your unit probably has a bad salt sensor.

If you do see a change, lower the water till your SWCG thinks the level is OK. Once it does, see if it makes chlorine -- if it does, you're home free. If not, well then you've got an SWCG repair issue to address.

Ben
    "PoolDoc"

AutoPilot does not recommend the use of the Generic Cell and will not cover any damage or issues resulting from the use of such. I'm sure the other Manufacturers feel the same.

The Goldline unit estimates a salt reading, based on the amps and volts to the cell. For it to indicate a higher than normal salt reading, it sounds like something is shorting out, like a blade or two within the cell are touching. Or the space between the cell blades are closer than an original Hayward cell.

Sorry, that is the extent that I will support any issues from the use of a generic cell.

My suggestion is to replace it with the original cell from Hayward and get your money back on the generic cell.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Thanks, have a replacement on order. Generic cell worked fine for a year, then it had a failed temp sensor, but found some other comments about people having similar issues with the false high salt readings..

+ Reply to Thread