+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much chlorine does shock add

Default How much chlorine does shock add

Looking to find out how much FC one bag of 68% cal-hypo adds to the water.
    I know the ammont 6% bleach adds but i have been trying to find out how much cal-hypo adds. I have not been able to find it on the bags or even searching the forums.

68% bags say one bag per 10k gallons , but theres no way of knowing how high your bringing up your FC unless you check often during adding the cal-hypo.
    Id like to know so i can bring the water to shock level based on my cya.

Is there a ball park figure per 10k gallons for the most common 68 and 73 % cal-hypo one pound bags of shock.
    thanks

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: How much chlorine does shock add

OUR forum has had many discussions on how much they add. There have even been recent discussions in the last month. You can use the search engine and pay attention to posts especially by PoolDoc, ChemGeek and Waterbear.

If I find more I'll let you know.

Edit:

Check out this thread:
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...4749#post64749

Page up to the top of the thread for Waterbear's comment on Cal-Hypo.

Edit #2:

Here's the link to the original thread.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=9989

Notice that you need TEN POUNDS of Cal-Hypo to get the same result in 10,000 gallons that Waterbear lists. Now we know that's wrong...see posts further down...Evan left off some zeros and where it says "1,000" gallons it's "10,000" gallons. I thought that might be true at first and should have gone with my first instinct....
    Last edited by CarlD; 07-20-2010 at 09:58 PM.
    Carl

You may find the Pool Calculator useful for your needs. Input your pool volume in the field at the top. Scroll down to the paragraph which says Effects of adding chemicals and input the amount and type of chemical you're interested in. The application returns a variety of parameters. In the case of 65% cal-hypo it tells you the increase in FC, calcium hardness, and salt.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

I did look at the pool caculator site recommended and it was saved to favs, very nice site
    heres my issue, on the pool caculator site i put a 10k gallon pool as reference and used 16oz of 65% cal hypo and it approx raised FC to 7.7, so that would be almost the same as 1 gallon of 7.7% bleach. Thats the way im seeing it. please correct me if im wrong im just trying to find the best and most earth friendly method of boosting FC. (Less waste/garbage using 1lb shock bags vs 3 to 4 jugs of bleach)

I have found LC at 10% in bulk 15 gallon jugs but its 1 hr away and only open of course when im working also.

Also looking at waterbears results it was listed that 1lb of 65% cal-hypo raises 1000 gallons to approx 7.5.
    That would mean that adding that same one lb bag to 10k gallons of water would barley even raise the FC above 1ppm.
    I like to use the 10k water ammount since its easier and we all use this for bleach caculations also, so its good to compare side by side.

Ive read lots of posts this year and know the ups/downs and other effects of cal-hypo and bleach and so on. Its good to know your options so you can make a good decision on what works best for your application. thanks again

I have a little chart published by Taylor which came with one of the test kits I have. The title is To Raise Chlorine 1 ppm Using Chlorine Compound
    and then gives a number of percentages of available chlorine across the top of the table and pool volume down the y-axis.

For 65% available chlorine it shows 2.05 oz for 10,000 gallons. If you input 2.05 oz for 10,000 gallons in the Pool Calculator it says it'll raise FC by 1 ppm. So, we have agreement between those two sources of information.

In my personal opinion and experience, the bulk chlorine is the most economical, efficient, and controllable product. The liquid chlorine I buy starts out at 12.5% when manufactured but tests at 11%. I refill it into old bleach bottles to make it easier to handle.

Ultimately, you'll use whatever is most convenient and effective for your specific situation. Plain chlorine at whatever strength is definitely the easiest to manage but yes, hauling and disposing of all of those bottles can be a drag. It's too bad that store is so far away from you.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post

Notice that you need TEN POUNDS of Cal-Hypo to get the same result in 10,000 gallons that Waterbear lists.
    Nope, left out a few zeros, now corrected. I meant to compare the FC raise in the same 10k gallons of wate!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by pbotz2000 View Post

Ive read lots of posts this year and know the ups/downs and other effects of cal-hypo and bleach and so on. Its good to know your options so you can make a good decision on what works best for your application. thanks again
    Main difference in the use of cal hypo vs. bleach is the cost. Since the stronger (and more economical) forms of cal hypo get harder and harder to find (since they are a class III oxidizer and require special shipping and storage requirements) bleach and liquid chlorine are much more economical in most areas of the country. You do have a third option in unstabilized chlorine. Lithium Hypocloriate is exremely fast dissolving, has minimal impact on water chemistry, no effect on water hardness BUT is the most expensive form of chlorine you can buy. If you decide to use it I understand that quite a lot will fit into the back of your Ferrari or Maserati!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    Nope, left out a few zeros, now corrected. I meant to compare the FC raise in the same 10k gallons of wate!
    When I FIRST saw that I thought "Oops, supposed to 10,000". Out-smarted myself...and left a note in my original post.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    Main difference in the use of cal hypo vs. bleach is the cost. Since the stronger (and more economical) forms of cal hypo get harder and harder to find (since they are a class III oxidizer and require special shipping and storage requirements) bleach and liquid chlorine are much more economical in most areas of the country. You do have a third option in unstabilized chlorine. Lithium Hypocloriate is exremely fast dissolving, has minimal impact on water chemistry, no effect on water hardness BUT is the most expensive form of chlorine you can buy. If you decide to use it I understand that quite a lot will fit into the back of your Ferrari or Maserati!
    Leslie's still has 73% cal hypo in stock - I plan on stocking up if they decide to pull it off the shelves or tracking down HTH's industrial brother...

+ Reply to Thread