+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So..... the plot thickens...

Default So..... the plot thickens...

I have been battling this metal issue all summer and cannot shake it. So... After adding a maintenance dose of metal magic the pool got a little cloudy, which has not happened. After checking the water balance, the pH was a little low so I added two pounds of pH up which turned the pool really cloudy. That was new... Then today, with the chlorine a little low, I started to add some straight bleach and the water instantly got cloudy...

So, what the heck is going on that when I add pH up and bleach that the water gets cloudy?

Stumped....

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: So..... the plot thickens...

I'm not the metal person but I know if you raise your FC too fast when trying to sequester metals, it makes a big mess--that seems to have happened to you. Higher pH also seems to make the metals come out--and you raised pH rapidly.

Again, I'm not the metals expert but I think you need to bring your pH down to around 7.0-7.2 and let your FC fall into the 2-3 range for the sequestrant to work. You should do a search on Pool Forum for metals, especially posts by our resident metals expert, Mbar. That may help you.

Again, I'm not sure of my advice, but you can easily check it.
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by pilot-werx View Post
    I have been battling this metal issue all summer and cannot shake it. So... After adding a maintenance dose of metal magic the pool got a little cloudy, which has not happened.
    Sometimes happens when the CH is high, usually nothing to worry about unless the pool turns to milk. Usually clears in a day.

After checking the water balance, the pH was a little low so I added two pounds of pH up which turned the pool really cloudy.
    Very common, if the CH is up there. Just calcium carbonate precipitating out.

That was new... Then today, with the chlorine a little low, I started to add some straight bleach and the water instantly got cloudy...
    This is a new one on me. Never saw bleach cloud the water, unless the localized temporary pH rise caused more calcium carbonate to precipitate out.
    So, what the heck is going on that when I add pH up and bleach that the water gets cloudy?

Stumped....
    Without full sets of test results before and after you added each chem it is really impossible to say what happened but my educated guesses are above in bold.
    I am going to guess your CH is on the higher end of the scale.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

This happens to me when I use a lot of sequestering agent and raise the chlorine. It gets cloudy, sometimes milky. I just keep adding chlorine and keep the filter running 24/7 keeping the ph low. It takes a while to clear up, and you will have to vacuum a lot to get rid of the sediment that falls on the bottom of the pool. Once this is finished, you should not have as much of a problem with staining. Keep the faith
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread