+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Micro -tears in liner?!?!?!

Default Micro -tears in liner?!?!?!

Ok, this sounds a little strange to me!....we have had issues for years with water behing our liner with heavy rains etc, due to our pool being much lower on our property than the house etc. i use a pump behind liner to pump out water as needed...no worries. Anyhow, I was at the pool store yesterday in regards to drop in pool stairs ...and when I mentioned the water issue, the "sales rep" said, its not due to ground water, but actually due to "micro -tears " in liner causing water to leak out behind it. Has anyone ever heard of this? Granted he is a "sales rep" and of course tried to scare me into replacing my liner ASAP....but it doesn't really make any sense to me about the "micro tears"...would the water level not drop dramatically in the pool? ..anyway we will be replacing the liner in the next few years, just wondered if anyone has ever heard of this before???

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Micro -tears in liner?!?!?!

I would think that if you had tears in the liner, you would have noticed a significant amount of water loss, and that it would have gotten worse as the years went by. When I had 3 small tears in my liner last year, I was losing 1-2" or more every day in my 18 x 36 IG.

The liner experts on this forum may come by and say something different, but in my experience I would think that you'd know it if there were tears.

Janet
    Last edited by aylad; 07-18-2010 at 03:44 PM.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

As one of the "iner" experts () - I completely agree with Jan!

Like when you take your water down to the pool store for testing, they are trying to tell you that you need an expensive repair for a ~ non-issue

I believe that you have a 'surface water' issue and the solution is to provide heavy rains a trench to bypass the pool (I'll gladly consult with you on this if you'll tell me the topography of your yard )
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Sounds like pure BS to me. I too have a very high water table and get water under the IG pool. Fortunately for me my builder knew this would happen and built a large drywell under the deep end of the pool and tied it in with a separate feed line to my circulating pump. When water builds up I valve this line it to waste ( and close lines to and from pool) and just pump the water away. Have worked great for many years.

just another pool store chemical pusher trying to diagnose your situation from behind a counter without seeing your pool.

Phosphate Remover will fix your 'iner'...
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Hey Waste,
    And you too, Phillbo!!

Janet

+ Reply to Thread