+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replaster or Paint over a Marcite Pool

Default Replaster or Paint over a Marcite Pool

My 16 x32' IG pool is 12 years old and in need of a makeover. Should I replaster or paint?

Has anyone used Ultraguard 2 part pool epoxy?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Replaster or Paint over a Marcite Pool

I repainted two years ago,,only because I didn't want to spend the $9K to replaster,,,,but if I had the cash and did it over again,,I would replaster 100%,,no doubt.

Thanks Herb, that's kind of what I'm finding out.

Still getting quotes on all types of renovations at the moment. Not a lot of qualified contactors in the Chicagoland area? If anyone has any recommendation, please post it?

Is there any preference for Diamond Brite or Pebbletech

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Sorry, but posting specific companies and naming names is not allowed on this forum. Hopefully, though, you'll get some opinions on Diamond Brite vs. Pebbletech.

Janet

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Re: DiamondBrite vs. Pebbletech vs. other exposed aggregate finishes (there are many).
    Today they all perform well, differences are how they look, how much they cost, and how they feel on your feet. The last two criteria are often the most important! If you can, find a pool with the finish you are interested in and try walking on it. Some of the quarts aggregates are very rough to walk on. These finishes are just sand, pebbles, or crushed quartz in a plaster.
    Also, there is nothing wrong with a marcite (plaster)finish. They are generally less expensive but not really less durable then the aggregates if properly cared for and can be done in many colors besides just white (although I prefer white plaster myself).
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    Also, there is nothing wrong with a marcite (plaster)finish. They are generally less expensive but not really less durable then the aggregates if properly cared for and can be done in many colors besides just white (although I prefer white plaster myself).
    I'll second that!
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

The other side of the coin is this: Trades men today are 'not' as they were in years past. I know this first hand being in the const. industry for 30 yrs. Believe me, the real craftsmen of old are very few and far between.

And truth is you (or even I with with my experience) could not fully qualify such a trade as this. I'm sure you can find a good qualified contractor, but a thing like pool plastering is such a unique service, I doubt you'll find many folks you can speak to directly who have used the same guy/company.

This would be an awful big area to have someone mess up,,which you may not see or realize a year or so after,,,then what? I guess what I'm saying is that it would have to be a 'very reputable 'local' company for me to be comfortable. Which I guarantee, won't be the cheapest estimate you get.

But if cost was not an issue,,,then that's the way I'd go. Mine was in really good shape for being 30 yrs old,,so it didn't seem to make sense to sandblast off the other 98% of good plaster required to prep.

Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread