+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Pump/Filter for Intex 16' x 48" pool

Default Best Pump/Filter for Intex 16' x 48" pool

We just bought and put up a Intex metal frame pool. It holds approx 5200 gallons. I have read much online and heard here that the Intex pumps can be inadequate for the size pool you get them with.

Any suggetions on the best size and set up for this pool? Links would be great if you have them.
    MaryAnn...mom to Joey and Kate, wife to Joe

Default Re: Best Pump/Filter for Intex 16' x 48" pool

i dont want to post any hot links but i found this one while surch/surfin just add the w w w in front
    .njpoolstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=G-4510
    3rd year - homeBuilt! by ME! 11500 Gal. Vinyl inground
    haward S180T with a 1hp Super Pump

Well scratch that idea. I did a little more searching and found its reviews are not that good. sorry

Jim
    3rd year - homeBuilt! by ME! 11500 Gal. Vinyl inground
    haward S180T with a 1hp Super Pump

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_G View Post
    Well scratch that idea. I did a little more searching and found its reviews are not that good. sorry

Jim
    That's okay. we don't need to do anything right now. Just starting to research stuff.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If you maintain your Intex using our methods you'll find your pump is adequate. It just takes regular, daily attention and you'll be fine.

My first pool was an Intex donut--15'. Since I'm in my 8th season with my next pool, the Intex filter just went in the dumpster....but it worked fine for 3 years.

I even was able to run a 4'x10' solar panel with it.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    If you maintain your Intex using our methods you'll find your pump is adequate. It just takes regular, daily attention and you'll be fine.

My first pool was an Intex donut--15'. Since I'm in my 8th season with my next pool, the Intex filter just went in the dumpster....but it worked fine for 3 years.

I even was able to run a 4'x10' solar panel with it.
    sounds good. we'll see how it goes and hopefully all will be fine. If I don't have to spend more money that's FINE with me.

I have a 15 ft Intex frame pool. The best thing I ever did for my pool was getting a " real" filter for the pool. It has made upkeep so much easier. I picked it up on craigslist for free and it's great. I am looking at replacing the pump part now but still worth it. Second best thing I did was get a real ladder.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by im45us View Post
    I have a 15 ft Intex frame pool. The best thing I ever did for my pool was getting a " real" filter for the pool. It has made upkeep so much easier. I picked it up on craigslist for free and it's great. I am looking at replacing the pump part now but still worth it. Second best thing I did was get a real ladder.
    Replaced the pump and filter for FREE? Well, you can't beat that! But I'd think twice about spending $300-$500 on a pump-filter combo for a 15' Intex--that's more than the pool!

There's a little Hayward sand-filter and pump combo (about 1/2hp) that can be found in the $250 range if one hunts.
    Carl

I have the same pool. My pump/filter lasted me 2 seasons before the pump locked up. For a while I could kick the thing to get it moving again but it eventual settled to a steady hum. I replaced it with a sand filter system I got for free on craigslist. Watch craigslist in the winter months and people put filter systems up for free or dirt cheap just to get rid of them. you may have to do some repair work but hey its free.

David

Hayward does make a very small pump/filter combo that can be had for as little as $250 new. I think it's either a 1/4 or 1/3 hp pump and it should be ideal for a small pool like that. Check their web site for the model and then google it.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread