Closed Thread

Thread: Wall fitting question

Condo Steve Guest

Default Wall fitting question

Hi everybody,
    I have inherited the job of pool boy at our condo, 15,000 gal. inground, plaster.
    In the distant past, some knucklehead discovered that the skimmer was broken, not under warranty and needed addressing. The obvious answer was also the cheapest solution, remove the skimmer and brick up that unsightly hole. The kind idiot plumbed a 1.5" line beneath the now uninstalled skimmer and plugged the end with a PVC MIP plug and teflon tape.
    Two questions:
    Has anyone experienced this brand of idiocy before?
    I need a place to plug in a vacuum hose. Can I unscrew the 1.5" plug and screw in a wall fitting to accept a 1.5" vacuum hose?
    Thanks in advance and please, no laughing.

Condo Steve

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

Default Re: Wall fitting question

That should be fine. Does your pool have some Jandy like valves where you can turn off the main drain so that most of the suction will go through the vac hose?

Quote Originally Posted by Condo Steve
    Hi everybody,
    The obvious answer was also the cheapest solution, remove the skimmer and brick up that unsightly hole. The kind idiot plumbed a 1.5" line beneath the now uninstalled skimmer and plugged the end with a PVC MIP plug and teflon tape. Condo Steve
    Steve, I hate to say it but the obvious answer was to replace the skimmer not to eliminate it completely. And in a public pool specially. And it is not to late......

Quote Originally Posted by Condo Steve
    I need a place to plug in a vacuum hose. Can I unscrew the 1.5" plug and screw in a wall fitting to accept a 1.5" vacuum hose?
    Condo Steve
    A cleaning fitting by Hayward W-400 or similar is what you need. It has a spring loaded cover for safety when the cleaning hose is not attached. A suction line should not be left uncovered and you are looking for trouble if you remove the plug and not use a fitting with a cover. Someone can get hurt or drown if hair or small hand and even arms get sucked into the line.
    Last edited by PoolDesignnet; 05-03-2006 at 07:25 PM.
    Zina
    Pool-Design . net

Condo Steve Guest

Zina,
    I am completely in your camp. I will not leave the fitting open when not actively vacuuming. If I lived here when this happened, I would like to believe that the skimmer would have been replaced. Three guesses where the ficus leaves go? They water-log (eventually) and drop to the bottom. Already bought a leaf rake. I take a peek when I get home from work and just skim them off before they dive. Thanks for the product recommendation. The do list for the weekend just got longer.

Condo Steve

Steve,

I tried to end you a private message but you don't accept them. Call me (the number in on my website) if you can't find the fitting. We sell them.
    Zina
    Pool-Design . net

GutierrezPlastering Guest

yea i agree new skimmer that way your not going around the corners and you know that it is brand spankin new !

Closed Thread