+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AquaBot T2 hates walls

Default AquaBot T2 hates walls

So now that I've gotten my feet wet in the forum (no cheesy pun intended..honestly), I have another question; my AquaBot T2 refuses to climb walls...or rather, it tries to climb walls, can't do it, then falls on it's butt...and it can't get up. Seriously...I thought it would right itself, but it didn't...it just drove itself around doing a wheelie until I pulled it to the side and fixed it myself. I'm at the point where I'm ready to toss the sucker in the trash, because it seems to be pretty useless. My mom has had her robotics engineer friend look at it, and everything is operating properly...I've cleaned out the bag, made sure nothing was blocking the suction, and I just don't know anymore...anyone else have the same problem?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: AquaBot T2 hates walls

I had this START happening with my Dolphin....suction fell off.

OK. If this has ALWAYS been happening let's start with the obvious.
    1) Are you sure the handle is angled COMPLETELY? The handle floats the unit at an angle to help it move horizontally when at the upper edge of the pool.
    2) Are there weights on the handle? Take them off! Are there extra floats? Put them on.
    3) Are you sure, despite being clear, that your pump motor is running at 100%? If it's not it won't stick. This would indicate repair needed.
    4) Are you turning off your pump when you run the 'Bot? The returns running interfere with robotic operations.

These are the things you should consider.
    Carl

Actually, no, it's a new thing...it WAS climbing walls, although not as high as I'd like (I can handle that, though), but then recently it just decided it didn't feel like it anymore, I guess. ...and to answer your questions as best as I can;
    The handle doesn't really lock into any certain position, it just kind of floats around, I think...I'll stick the little bugger in the pool tomorrow and observe, though.
    No weights on the handle...and I have no idea if we have extra floats, or where they are if we do.
    Well, the robotics engineer says everything's operating perfectly, but I suppose he could be wrong.
    No...and I never thought about that part...I leave the filter going because of all the debris that the robot shoots out of him...I'll try shutting off the filter tomorrow when I stick the little guy in there.
    Thanks Carl!!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If it was doing it and stopped, something's wrong and either the company doesn't know how to diagnose it, or it doesn't want to fix the problem, or more likely both. I got the run-around from Dolphin when the same thing happened to me. Their tech actually, in all seriousness, suggested I attach lead weights to my unit! They even sent me a couple.

Lead weights, in pool water, that my children and their friends swim in. Not happening--I'll vacuum by hand first!

The problem was obvious: the suction motor assembly wasn't working correctly and they needed to replace it.

HOWEVER: While I don't know Aquabot, I do know that all of the brands of that type use the angled handle system for the same reason. If it's not angled correctly, and locked into place, it may not do anything related to wall-climbing correctly. So check that as well.

Good luck!
    Carl

hzz is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst hzz 1 star

The handle should lock in place horizontally. This tells the aquabot which way to go when it reaches the water line. The horizontal position should be altered for each use to keep he cord from kinking up.

One possibility is that your handel has developed a leak, and is full of water. The handle is supposed to be empty and water tight, helping the robot to float. Try to shake the handle around and see if it does have water in it.

Quote Originally Posted by hzz View Post
    The handle should lock in place horizontally. This tells the aquabot which way to go when it reaches the water line. The horizontal position should be altered for each use to keep he cord from kinking up.

One possibility is that your handel has developed a leak, and is full of water. The handle is supposed to be empty and water tight, helping the robot to float. Try to shake the handle around and see if it does have water in it.
    Great thing to check!

To be clear: The handle is horizontal but diagonal from one corner of the 'Bot to the other, and you change that each cleaning. Not only does it prevent the cord from tangling, it changes whether the 'Bot will go right or left when it scrubs the wall at the water-line.
    Carl

TomC is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst TomC 0

Missy,

Another thing that could affect the aquabot's ability to climb walls is a loose drive belt. Every 3 or 4 years the drive belts on my aquabot need to be replaced, because they stetch. Symptoms of this are an inability to climb walls, slow movement, and periodic stopping, although it keeps pumping water. As a matter of fact I just replaced mine this morning, took about 10 minutes, and the parts cost about 17 bucks.

As the other posters have suggested, make sure the handle is locked into position on both sides, and check the handle for water. To check if your unit suffers from a loss of suction, get into the pool with it and put your hand under the intake ports. If loss of suction is the problem, and you have already checked for obstructions, you'll need a repair center to look at it.

Also, as stated above, make sure all the styrofoam floats, which came with the unit, are in place. Mine seems like it is going to climb right out of the pool.

Tom
    Last edited by TomC; 07-09-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Sometimes my dolphin will stop climbing the walls. This usually tells me I have been lazy and didn't clean the vaccum bag out. A 15 minute cycle in the washer, and it is back to climbing.

Hope it something just this simple for you.

Good luck.

Blessings,
    Ted (TRHOD) North Canton, Ohio
    1974 Anthony 24,000 gal IG vinyl, Hayward sand filter/1hp superpump. (5) 2x20ft sungrabber solar panel roof mounted
    Acquired pool June 2006 Been BBBing ever since

+ Reply to Thread