+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why Bother??

Default Why Bother??

Ok. I understand the need for pool chemistry, of course. And my title seem a little rough, but even though I understand the targets, there are a couple things I dont know what will happen if they get out of whack. I have a 24'agp. I have had VERY GOOD LUCK for my first season with a pool. Especially since I got my sand filter and got the thing crytal clear like I wanted. I have a swg. Everyone loves the water quality. But a few questions...

1. My alk stays high. around 200 to 250. I cant get it to change no matter how much PH- I add. What will happen if it stays high?

2. My pH stays at 7.8. I have yet to have ANYTHING affect it. Idk if I'm just not adding enough pH- at one time or what, but it never moves. Aside from playing with it to rachet the alk down, havent had a need to move it much.

Everyone says 7.2 is ideal, but my pool is so nice at 7.8, and it stays rock solid stabil, do I even need to worry about it?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Why Bother??

Having high alk can cause scaling issues over time. Take a look at the following thread for information about lowering alk.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=191

In regards to pH of 7.8 --- actually anywhere between 7.2-7.8 is fine. Some pools just naturally have a set point they seem to like to stay at pH-wise. But, in order to get the alk down, you'll need to lower the pH. It is all explained in the link above. If you have any questions after you read it, let us know.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Why Bother??

Quote Originally Posted by ThaSatelliteGuy View Post
    Ok. I understand the need for pool chemistry, of course. And my title seem a little rough, but even though I understand the targets, there are a couple things I dont know what will happen if they get out of whack. I have a 24'agp. I have had VERY GOOD LUCK for my first season with a pool. Especially since I got my sand filter and got the thing crytal clear like I wanted. I have a swg. Everyone loves the water quality. But a few questions...

1. My alk stays high. around 200 to 250. I cant get it to change no matter how much PH- I add. What will happen if it stays high?
    There is a good chance that the pH will spike above 7.8 and that could lead to problems with a SWG. If you are testing pH daily and you KNOW it never rises above 7.8 then don't worry about it. However, if it goes higher lower it to 7.5-7.6.
    Realize that this is NOT the case in most pools.

2. My pH stays at 7.8. I have yet to have ANYTHING affect it. Idk if I'm just not adding enough pH- at one time or what, but it never moves. Aside from playing with it to rachet the alk down, havent had a need to move it much.
    First, dry acid is going to be very expensive to lower TA since it does require MUCH more acid than lowering pH. . Use Muriatic. Second. how low are you dropping the pH? If it is not to 7.0 then you are really just spinning your wheels.
    Everyone says 7.2 is ideal, but my pool is so nice at 7.8, and it stays rock solid stabil, do I even need to worry about it?
    Who says a pH of 7.2 is ideal? that is actually the low end of acceptable and can cause some eye irritation. 7.5-7.6 is MUCH better and is what to aim for, particularly with a SWG. The lower you place the TA the faster it will rise, BTW. Another reason to shoot for a pH of 7.5-7.6.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread