+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Acid treatment, but no circulate

steveinaz is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher steveinaz 2 stars steveinaz 2 stars

Default Acid treatment, but no circulate

My system doesn't have a circulate mode; everthing goes thru the paper element filters. What changes do I need to make to the stickied procedure for removing stains with asorbic acid?

What sequestreant to do you recommend for iron?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Acid treatment, but no circulate

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    My system doesn't have a circulate mode; everthing goes thru the paper element filters. What changes do I need to make to the stickied procedure for removing stains with asorbic acid?

What sequestreant to do you recommend for iron?
    None
    The AA treatment will not hurt the cart (which is not paper but rather a polyester material)

Look for a HEDP based sequestrant like jacks magic, Proteam Metal Magic,or Seequasol. The label will say it is phosphonate based, a phosphonic acid derivative, or that it contains HEDP.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

steveinaz is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher steveinaz 2 stars steveinaz 2 stars

Evan, would that be like Jack's Pink Stuff? They have so many products, it's confusing...

Let me back peddle a little bit. I finally did the the vitamin C test correctly this time, and it did in fact remove the staining after about 10-15 minutes. This was a relief, as the staining is fairly light, but does cover probably 85% of the pool. This "epiphany" reminded me of the first year of the pool, the PB had to come out and clear a clogged drain (sponge left from construction). His weight (diving) belt had a tear in it---about 3 days later I noticed little balls in my pool, that left behind red rust stains. Could this have been the source of the iron? We're on city water, and the quality seems to be quite good...
    Last edited by steveinaz; 07-03-2010 at 12:41 PM.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    Evan, would that be like Jack's Pink Stuff? They have so many products, it's confusing...
    Pink stuff or purple stuff or blue stuff, either is good. Purple stuff is made for salt pools but I have never noticed a difference.
    blue stuff has a higher chelation index for copper than pink stuff but both are about the same for iron. Often you can just get a store brand sequestrant that is HEDP and save a bit of money. They work just as well, IMHO.

Let me back peddle a little bit. I finally did the the vitamin C test correctly this time, and it did in fact remove the staining after about 10-15 minutes. This was a relief, as the staining is fairly light, but does cover probably 85% of the pool. This "epiphany" reminded me of the first year of the pool, the PB had to come out and clear a clogged drain (sponge left from construction). His weight (diving) belt had a tear in it---about 3 days later I noticed little balls in my pool, that left behind red rust stains. Could this have been the source of the iron? We're on city water, and the quality seems to be quite good...
    Very possibly that is the source of the iron stains.

I had Leslie pool test my pool water for copper and iron (they use Taylor test equipment); they told me (and showed me the sample) my water was perfectly clear--not even a trace of either copper or iron.

Would this mean, after I get this stain lifted, and sequestered, I wouldn't have to use maintenence dosages in the future?

No, it just means that there is no dissolved metal in the water right now because it is already deposited as stain. the ascorbic acid treatment will cause it to redissolve back into the water.

+ Reply to Thread