+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shot glass method doesn't work with DPD?

Question Shot glass method doesn't work with DPD?

Why do folks here say that the shot glass method only works with OTO?

I'd think that by combining equal parts distilled water and pool water and proceeding with the DPD test (doubling the result) one would arrive at a rough estimate of chlorine. Taylor says this about dilution of the DPD chlorine test:

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Technologies K-2005 DPD Chlorine test instructions

* If color is off-scale: Repeat test using 4.5 mL sample
    diluted to 9 mL mark with tap water. Multiply reading by
    2 to obtain approximate sanitizer level. If color is still
    off-scale: Repeat test using 1.8 mL sample diluted to 9 mL
    mark with tap water. Multiply reading by 5 to obtain
    approximate sanitizer level.
    Source: http://www.taylortechnologies.com/pr...er&Number=5136

Enlightenment appreciated.
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Shot glass method doesn't work with DPD?

Dilution works with any chlorine test. The OTO test has an upper limit so maybe that's why it was stated that way. DPD goes a lot higher. I do take exception with the tap water comment. Many municipalities chlorinate their water and that can mess up the results. Should use distilled water.
    AL
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Also, most inexpensive test kits are OTO and that is what 'newbies' usually have at their disposal
    FWIW, if you are going to spend the money on a DPD test kit like the K-2005 you might as well spend a bit more and get an FAS-DPD kit such as the K-2006.
    I have never come across anyone who said you cannot do dilutions with DPD and, in fact, have pointed out myself many times that dilution marks for 2:1 AND 4:1 are molded into the comparator that comes in the K-2005 and that the instructions for doing the dilutions are on the inside of the lid.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thumbs up Re: Shot glass method doesn't work with DPD?

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos View Post
    Dilution works with any chlorine test. The OTO test has an upper limit so maybe that's why it was stated that way. DPD goes a lot higher. I do take exception with the tap water comment. Many municipalities chlorinate their water and that can mess up the results. Should use distilled water.
    Thanks. I also wondered why Taylor suggests tap water, though the dilutions they suggest would only add a portion of the measurable Free Chlorine, skewing the test upward by perhaps .5 to 1 PPM FC. That's not too much if someone is diluting because chlorine exceeds the test's 5 PPM upper limit, but it does introduce error.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    FWIW, if you are going to spend the money on a DPD test kit like the K-2005 you might as well spend a bit more and get an FAS-DPD kit such as the K-2006.
    No argument from me! I was thinking of the shot glass / dilution method in the context of a pool owner's ad hoc attempt to measure high chlorine without immediate access to the FAS-DPD test, say, when fighting algae and waiting for their kit to be delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    I have never come across anyone who said you cannot do dilutions with DPD [...]
    Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to be sure.

Dilution works with any chlorine test.
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

Ohm_Boy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Ohm_Boy 0

Dilution does work regardless of test. If you think about it, all of our chlorine samples are diluted - the test tells us how much. That's how it works.
    Naturally, further diluting the sample increases the scale and reduces the accuracy by the same factor.

+ Reply to Thread