+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yuck! Tiny bugs all over the outside of our pool

Default Yuck! Tiny bugs all over the outside of our pool

We just went out to check our chlorine levels and our filter and found all over the white metal poles these tiny swarming bugs that are smaller than a grain of rice and kind of a light brown/tan color. Upon reading a few posts in this forum, I think they are something called springtails. Apparently they come out after a rain as they love moisture, and we had heavy rains yesterday (at least 3 inches). Do you know anything about these icky bugs?
    Tricia from South MS
    Intex Above Ground Metal-Framed Pool 15' x 48" (~5000 gallons) installed 6/21/10, and now using BBB (well only one of the B's so far) and Taylor K-2006 test kit

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Yuck! Tiny bugs all over the outside of our pool

Do they jump back and forth between the water surface and the edge of the pool? If so, that's probably what they are. We get them sometimes after heavy rains--i usually just shock the pool and they go away.

Janet

Here's an old thread about them, with a link to pictures...http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...ht=springtails

We haven't actually been in our pool since before we left for 4 days, due to the algae we've been fighting. (The algae is now presumed to be dead due to being shocked, but we are trying to get the water filtered so it won't be so cloudy so we can see the bottom in the middle before we get back in.) (Which is why I'm possibly looking into upgrading my filter pump as well.) I just ordered the Taylor K-2006 kit Monday evening and am awaiting it's arrival so I can do more detailed testing on our water. Right now we are relying on the Walmart OTO drops test for chlorine, and having a hard time distinguishing between the various shades of yellow, so our chlorine level is currently just a guesstimate.

ETA
    Thanks for the link, that was very helpful. Although these bugs probably won't be a problem, just the thought of millions of tiny bugs being there is gross. We already have found a few of what we think are water boatmen in our water (hoping they aren't biting backswimmers).
    Tricia from South MS
    Intex Above Ground Metal-Framed Pool 15' x 48" (~5000 gallons) installed 6/21/10, and now using BBB (well only one of the B's so far) and Taylor K-2006 test kit

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by blessedbeingmom View Post
    We already have found a few of what we think are water boatmen in our water (hoping they aren't biting backswimmers).

Me too, 'cause those things HURT!!

Shocking the pool will help take care of all of those things...the backswimmers/waterboatmen will withstand the higher chlorine better than the springtails and algae, but by killing the algae you will kill off their food source.

Janet

Well, I was away at work all day, but it appears tonight that most of those tiny bugs are gone now, and I'm glad!
    Tricia from South MS

+ Reply to Thread