+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hayward CL200 Automatic Chlorine Feeder

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Hayward CL200 Automatic Chlorine Feeder

I KNOW you can get cheap rum down there--but the GOOD rum is STILL expensive. The best comes from Martinique and is made like fine cognac , or the best single-malt scotch (which makes me greener than a 100 proof algae bloom ). Unfortunately, it ain't cheap, even on Martinique.

Remember: Don't Drink and Dive!
    Carl

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    I KNOW you can get cheap rum down there--but the GOOD rum is STILL expensive. The best comes from Martinique and is made like fine cognac , or the best single-malt scotch (which makes me greener than a 100 proof algae bloom ). Unfortunately, it ain't cheap, even on Martinique.

Remember: Don't Drink and Dive!

Carl,
    I bought a few bottles of top shelf Barbancourt in
    Port au Prince for less than $10 per about a year ago. Don't get any better or cheaper than that.

I also still have a few bottles of the three star
    Ron del Barrilito (Puerto Rico) that I bought a few years ago in Roosevelt Roads, PR for less than $5.00 a bottle.

You've made me thirsty. I think I'll break out the Barbancourt and stick my feet in the pool.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Kurt:
    Barbancourt is OK--not crazy about it. 3 Star Barrilito is, to my taste, a lot better. Better rums (IMHO) that are fairly easy to get are:
    Ron de Matusalem (the extra special reserve) and
    St. James Hors d'Age.

It's tougher but you can get St. James 1979 and 1982 vintages by special order. Both will make you toss all the others except the Matusalem. But they are expensive.

But even the St. James vintages aren't the best....

But like anything, rum is a personal taste. Just because I think something is the best doesn't make it so. I can present arguments why I think chlorine is better than bromine or bacquacil, or why bleach is better than tri-chlor tablets--I have logical reasons, but the ONLY reason I can say I like St. James 1979 better than Barbancourt is I think it tastes better. And that's pure personal opinion.
    Last edited by CarlD; 05-07-2006 at 07:29 AM.
    Carl

As interesting as the rum threads are...can I ask a few questions about the CL200. I have one - doesn't seem to restrict any flow, but I trust what is said on this forum so could someone lay out the problems with using this product? One problem I've had in the past is that my heater had to be replaced after only 4 years and I'm wondering if it had anything to do with this chlorine feeder. The inside of the heater was a rusted out mess.

I'm in the process of keeping the chlorine levels very high to get rid of leaf stains at the bottom of the pool. I thought leaving the chlorine feeder completely open and full of pucks would help this problem? Maybe I'm wrong and causing more harm than good.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by ksturge
    As interesting as the rum threads are...can I ask a few questions about the CL200. I have one - doesn't seem to restrict any flow, but I trust what is said on this forum so could someone lay out the problems with using this product? One problem I've had in the past is that my heater had to be replaced after only 4 years and I'm wondering if it had anything to do with this chlorine feeder. The inside of the heater was a rusted out mess.
    Is the feeder plumbed before or after the heater. It should be after. If it is before the low pH of the trichlor could cause damage to the heater.

I'm in the process of keeping the chlorine levels very high to get rid of leaf stains at the bottom of the pool. I thought leaving the chlorine feeder completely open and full of pucks would help this problem? Maybe I'm wrong and causing more harm than good.

What is your stabilizer level? The biggest problem with using trichlor or dichlor is that it causes your stabilizer (CYA) to constantly rise and that requires you run the pool and shock the pool at higher FC levels. The reasons are somewhat technical but you might want to check out this thread for some more information on what levels to run your pool at.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=365

Most of the folks on this forum add CYA manually to a level of about 30-50 ppm and then run their FC and shock levels according to the chart in the above thread by using bleach ( which is non stabilized chlorine, sodium hypochlorite). This is probably the easiest and most economical way to chlorinate your pool.

Take some time and read through the stickies on the forum and read everything on the sister website www.poolsolutions.com and you will soon understand the BBB method of pool care (Bleach, Borax, and Baking Soda)

If you have any questions just start a thread in the appropriate heading and you will get all the advice you will need.

If you haven't got one already DO get yourself a good drop based test kit that will measure FC, TC, pH, ALK, CAL, and CYA. Do not use test strips...they just don't have the accuracy for maintaining a pool.

Hope this is helpful
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thanks - I've ordered Ben's test kit. When it comes I'll be able to be more accurate. The feeder is after the heater so maybe that wasn't the problem.

+ Reply to Thread