+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hayward CL200 Automatic Chlorine Feeder

Cool Hayward CL200 Automatic Chlorine Feeder

I just purchase a Hayward CL200 Automatic Chlorine Feeder. I'm going to
    install it on 1 1/2 inch return line. After looking inside of the CL200, it looks
    like the hole is much smaller than the inlet and outlet. Will this cause outlet
    pressure going to pool to decrease? I don't need to reduce pressure if so
    my navigator will not vacuum the pool like it should.
    Ltpowel

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Exclamation Re: Hayward CL200 Automatic Chlorine Feeder

That tiny hole is the main reason why -- when I used to recommend tri-chlor feeders -- I recommended the Rainbow 320 inline. I'm much less enthusiastic about tri-chlor feeders now -- floaters work well, and are safer, unless you have small children who might 'mess' with them.

But, one thing that hasn't changed is that the Hayward feeders suck! They restrict pool flow horrendously, and the control valve doesn't. The proper place to 'install' those feeders, is in your garbage can.

I've never really understood why so many manufacturers of quality products will leave known pieces of garbage in their product lines. Hayward, Pentair, Sta-Rite (especially Sta-Rite) offer a mix of excellent products with some real turkeys which have well-known and well-understood problems. It doesn't make sense to me, but apparently it does to them.

Ben
    "PoolDoc"
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-04-2006 at 08:41 AM.

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

Default Re: Hayward CL200 Automatic Chlorine Feeder

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc
    But, one thing that hasn't changed is that the Hayward feeders suck!

Ben
    "PoolDoc"
    Yes, I agree. I have one, but don't use it anymore. The control knob did not work properly and let in TOO much chlorine. This feeder is the primary reason my CYA is where it is today.....100ppm, and I haven't used it since last June when I switched to bleach.

CaryB

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I cannot imagine why people still use the auto-chlorinators with pucks.

When you need pucks, floaters are dirt cheap--an adjustable one is about $10.
    Carl

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    I cannot imagine why people still use the auto-chlorinators with pucks.

When you need pucks, floaters are dirt cheap--an adjustable one is about $10.
    I can think of a few reasons off the top of my head:
    - You already have in-lin chlorinator and would rather spend $10 on the nectar of the gods (brown liquor) than on a floater.
    - You have small children are are worried about the potential safety problems that might arise when those small children and a floater get together.
    - You are more concerned with asthetics than most and don't like the fashion statement a floater makes.
    - You are a new pool owner who didn't know about floaters when the pool was built and you went with the builder's recommendation. This one brings us back to the first case, especially the brown liquor part as you probably need it after the bad pool building experience you just survived.
    - The fact that the chlorine is distributed in the water more quickly and evenly with an in-lin chlorinator as opposed to a passive floater appeals to your anal retentiveness.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Talking Re: Hayward CL200 Automatic Chlorine Feeder

Quote Originally Posted by KurtV
    - . . . .
    ROFLMA!

Too true, and too funny!

Ben

Thumbs up Re: Hayward CL200 Automatic Chlorine Feeder

I'm returing the Hayward CL200 Automatic Chlorine Feeder tomorrow and
    will use a floater. We have switch from Baquacil to chlorine because of
    so much problems and the cost so we are learning from this poolforum
    the do's and don'ts.
    Thanks, LTPOWEL

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

I actually think the floater is quite active bobbing around when there are people in the pool. This aditional motion causes more chlorine to be added to the pool. I do agree they are an eye sore.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by KurtV
    - You already have in-lin chlorinator and would rather spend $10 on the nectar of the gods (brown liquor) than on a floater.
    OK, you got me with that one--but I've yet to find a good rum that costs that little...

- You have small children are are worried about the potential safety problems that might arise when those small children and a floater get together.
    You COULD pull the floater out when the kids get in it.

- You are more concerned with asthetics than most and don't like the fashion statement a floater makes.
    Well, you'll just need to go to Escada or Dior and get a designer floater so your friends will admire your good taste!

- You are a new pool owner who didn't know about floaters when the pool was built and you went with the builder's recommendation. This one brings us back to the first case, especially the brown liquor part as you probably need it after the bad pool building experience you just survived.
    That's a biggie. Builders also like to recommend cartridge filters--most owners end up hating them. Some also like to set folks up with Bacquacil without asking them or giving them the facts. Still, they aren't that hard to install or remove in these days of PVC piping and glued-on fittings.

- The fact that the chlorine is distributed in the water more quickly and evenly with an in-lin chlorinator as opposed to a passive floater appeals to your anal retentiveness.
    Oh, there's PLENTY of ways floaters can appeal to that--whenever I use one it always seems to end up blocking off the skimmer...Good flow that way...but lousy skimming!

Thanks for the grins!
    Carl

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    OK, you got me with that one--but I've yet to find a good rum that costs that little...

You gotta get down near the source (Panama, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, etc.) to get the good stuff cheap.

You COULD pull the floater out when the kids get in it.

You won't remember to do that if you've found the cheap rum.

Well, you'll just need to go to Escada or Dior and get a designer floater so your friends will admire your good taste!

Actually, the cheap rum probably dulls your fashion sense to point where this is no longer an issue.

That's a biggie. Builders also like to recommend cartridge filters--most owners end up hating them. Some also like to set folks up with Bacquacil without asking them or giving them the facts. Still, they aren't that hard to install or remove in these days of PVC piping and glued-on fittings.

Who can do all that plumbing if they've been hitting the cheap rum?

Oh, there's PLENTY of ways floaters can appeal to that--whenever I use one it always seems to end up blocking off the skimmer...Good flow that way...but lousy skimming!

We don't need no stinking skimmers, we've got cheap rum.

Thanks for the grins!
    Cheers, salud, etc..

+ Reply to Thread