I have to get something off my chest. Mods, move or delete this if you feel it's appropriate.

I have to say something about the so called 'sock method'. This really started becoming the norm on a different forum (on which I was one of the mods) and someone decided that it was the preferred method of adding CYA because you could still backwash your filter if needed and they felt it was important to get CYA in the water to clear a green pool. (I am talking about private discussions between the moderators and administrators in a hidden section of the forum. The idea was that all advice given would be consistant.)
I was the lone voice of dissent there, as was often the case (and also the only one with experience in more than just my own pool in this group of moderators and administrators). The consensus was that most people would be adding CYA when clearing a green pool and that to give more than one method would confuse pool owners (which, IMHO, shows about as much respect for pool owners as many pool stores do). What happened is that something as simple as adding CYA became another 'procedure' to complicate pool care.

So the idea that CYA needed to be put into a sock and hung in front of the return became the norm over there instead of only in those few cases where you were trying to add CYA while clearing a green pool.
However, if you read the instructions on most of the containers of CYA it says to pour it slowly into the skimmer. A few say to predissolve it in warm water and add to the pool but CYA does not really dissolve in warm water (or cold water) very quickly so that just does not work.