+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: CYA in a sock

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: CYA in a sock

Quote Originally Posted by polyvue View Post
    The implications are: In small pools with warm water, great circulation and a clean filter, the CYA may break down, most of it dissolving in as little as 1/3 of the turnover time.

Questions? Scoffs? Rebukes?
    Very possibly but since this is not the majority of pools out there it is not information that I would call universally useful. It is useful to you in your own pool (and interestingly enough, does not apply to my small (under 7k) pool that I keep at 88 degrees year round and that has an oversize cart filter also and an oversized pump (because of the spa), and turns over in about 2 hours. It just shows that pools need to be taken individually and the guidelines to test after a week will be useful to the vast majority of pool owners.

You have to agree that a 'universal truth' is going to be much more useful than a whole lot of individualized ones and less error prone.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Default Re: CYA in a sock

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    Very possibly but since this is not the majority of pools out there it is not information that I would call universally useful. It is useful to you in your own pool (and interestingly enough, does not apply to my small (under 7k) pool that I keep at 88 degrees year round and that has an oversize cart filter also and an oversized pump (because of the spa), and turns over in about 2 hours. It just shows that pools need to be taken individually and the guidelines to test after a week will be useful to the vast majority of pool owners.

You have to agree that a 'universal truth' is going to be much more useful than a whole lot of individualized ones and less error prone.
    “Universally useful” is a strict criterion, the application of which I’d best leave to others more qualified in the sock/skimmer/stabilizer and chemistry departments. I’ve only proved to myself that the guideline (“Wait one (1) week before testing CYA”) is not an axiom.

Al said that it took a couple of weeks for CYA to completely dissolve in a gallon jug (unagitated, I presume). Richard found that 2/3 of the CYA he added in the skimmer was detectable within 24 hours; without a t-shirt/sock to hold the CYA, it would find its way to the cart filter and take longer to dissolve due to reduced velocity. (I don’t use any material to trap the granules in the skimmer but I don’t take issue with this: I think velocity and temperature are key. My procedure involves stirring the CYA slurry enthusiastically for the two minutes it takes to fill the bucket with warm, almost hot, water until it’s poured into the skimmer.)

There are others in the forum who have observed very rapid dissolving of CYA but they fear arrest and imprisonment so I won’t “out” them.

I’m glad you took issue (would this be a scoff or a rebuke?) with my conclusions. Your expertise and experience helps me narrow the field. If some or all of the contributing factors I speculated to be causal in the rapid dissolution of the cyanuric acid in my pool can be ruled out, what is left? What explains the phenomena?

If it can be determined that factors x and y are most responsible for accelerating the process, perhaps we can also devise a procedure (or revise an existing one) to effect a rapid introduction of (granulated) CYA into the water so that no one need wait 7 days to confirm their stabilizer level. This would be useful, would it not?

Greg
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

+ Reply to Thread