+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Free Chlorine vs. Total Chlorine adjusting

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Free Chlorine vs. Total Chlorine adjusting HELP!

OK. There is good news and there is bad news. The good news is that with enough bleach, you will be able to clear up this pool. The bad news is that it is going to take a lot of bleach. In your earlier posts, you don't mention a cya reading (unless I missed it) and I think we were assuming you had none. With no cya, shocking to 15 will kill algae. But with a cya reading of 100, it is going to take shocking to more like 25 to kill it. See the link for more info about that.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=365

You should test your water 3x a day and each time shock it back up. It will take a lot of bleach, but it will work. I know it is hard to be patient, but hang in there and keep hammering it with bleach.

Default Re: Free Chlorine vs. Total Chlorine adjusting

Thanks, there is hope. Anyway to knock down the CYA?? The pool
    looks pretty good except the cloudiness. Is the algae still there and I just
    can't see it?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Hi Truckman;

This is the first time I'd looked back at this thread, since you posted the "100 CYA" info. That concerns me.

It *could* mean that you had much higher CYA, and now have only 100, and the CYA residue is eating the chlorine. But it *could* mean that your problem is all algae.

What worries me is that it's possible that you are getting fake chlorine readings, with is possible with test strips, and very likely with DPD tablet testing. So, please get a cheapie OTO (turns yellow) kit, and test. OTO is not very accurate, but it's bomb-proof. If OTO shows no chlorine; you have no chlorine of any kind. But, OTO turns orange at levels that bleach out OTO tabs, and turns brown at levels that screw up test strips.

So, please check. With CYA = 100, your liner can probably stand 30 ppm without damage, but you might be higher than that.

But . . . if you check with OTO, and your chlorine really IS low, then there's nothing for it besides repeated large doses of bleach, till the chlorine goes up, and stays up overnight. This is true regardless of whether the problem is algae, or CYA residure.

Ben
    "PoolDoc"

It is the reading with OTO. What is really confusing is the pool looks much, much better today and the Chlorine reading is lower today than it was
    yesterday. It don't see any algae or residue, its just cloudy and seems to be getting better, but this is with the lower chlorine levels. I just added another
    2 gallons of bleach about an hour ago so I'll see what it looks like in the
    morning and do another test.

So you're saying that the CYA residue is causing th cloudiness and not
    algae.

leejp is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst leejp 0

Default Another one...

I too opened to no CYA this year. While I am patiently waiting for my PS234S preorder to arrive Ive been using a low end pool store kit (for CC, pH and ALK) with guess strips (FC, CH and CYA).

It's a 26,000 gal IG... It's been a week with the pump running continuously and the pool has now consumed...

8lbs CYA
    1QT Polyquat
    35 x 96oz 6% 60.6PPM
    19 x128oz 5.25% 38.4PPM
    16 x 96oz 5.25% 24.2PPM
    3 x 184oz 5.25% 8.7PPM

131.9PPM of Cl thus far!!!! Added in ~10ppm doses (in the early AM and then again in the late PM).

I am getting extremely high levels of TC(CC) but my FC is barely moving. Tonights readings...

CH=0, TC=10PPM, FC~0, pH=7.6, ALK~200, CYA~20

CYA is going up (good)
    Test strip is beginning to show a wee bit of color onthe FC (end is near?)
    PH looks good
    scale hasn't been a problem so I'll do nothing with the ALK
    also do nothing with CH

The water has been clear all along with very little slime, organic matter on the pool walls/bottom. I really do hope the end is near...
    26,000 Vynil Liner L Inground
    Hayward 1HP Superpump + Hayward Pro Grid 4800 DE Filter
    Poolvergnuegen thepoolcleaner Pressure Side Cleaner
    Loop-Loc Mesh cover

Wink Re: Free Chlorine vs. Total Chlorine adjusting

I have the same problem as you I habven't use Bleach yet filter running 24/7 Need help as you do. Please advise

+ Reply to Thread