+ Reply to Thread

Thread: copper ions in SWG

Default copper ions in SWG

I was reading the sticky by Pool Doc concerning copper ions. I have SWG from Intex that uses an electrolytic cell and I also have copper ion test strips. Is this process the same as the one described in the previously mentioned sticky? Are there different processes for salt conversion? Will my SWG sanitize?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: copper ions in SWG

Quote Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
    I was reading the sticky by Pool Doc concerning copper ions. I have SWG from Intex that uses an electrolytic cell and I also have copper ion test strips. Is this process the same as the one described in the previously mentioned sticky? Are there different processes for salt conversion? Will my SWG sanitize?
    Your Intex unit is a SWG not an ionizer.

IF you are referring to the sticky called FAQ: "Stains & Metal Matters: Iron, Copper, Silver & More" then the type of cell the PoolDoc describes is different than the cell in the salt water generator. In an ionizer there are electrodes of copper (or copper and silver or copper and zinc) and when an electric current is applied metal ions are created from the metal electrodes. No salt is added to the water.
    In a SWG, the electrodes are made of rare earth elements and salt is added to the water. The electric current breaks the salt down and chlorine gas forms at one electrode (which dissolves in the water to make liquid chlorine) and hydrogen gas forms at the other electrode.

Copper test strips are used with ionizers, liquid copper 'sanizitizers' like Pristine Blue (that don't really work), copper bases algaecide (the most common cause of green hair), or any other instance where copper is suspected in the fill water.

Salt test strips are used with a SWG to determine the salt levels.

If you suspect there is copper in the water you might test for copper to make sure whether you have a SWG or not.

Copper is not usually wanted in the water unless you have put it there with an algaecide (NOT a good idea, IMHO) or have an ionizer or other copper based 'sanitation' system (ALSO NOT a good idea, IMHO), or it is in your fill water.
    Last edited by waterbear; 06-28-2010 at 12:21 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Default Re: copper ions in SWG

thanks waterbear, i get it

+ Reply to Thread