+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Here...Have Green Clear Water

Default New Here...Have Green Clear Water

Hi, I am having a problem with green water in my pool. Here is what I can tell you...

1. I have a 14,000 gal pool
    2. I use chlorine tabs
    3. I have well water but fill my pool with our "soft water" from our home. (pH 7.4)
    4. The water is green but clear, not cloudy, I can see the bottom of the pool floor
    5. Shocked pool for first time 4 days ago, with Super Shock
    6. Added 1/2 box of Borax today.
    7. Last test results- 1 hour ago...Chlorine 1.5 and pH level 7.6
    8. Filter has been running 24/7 and my husband back washes morning and evening.

PLEASE HELP if you can!

Last year I found Ben's site and used Borax to raise my pH and never had another problem the rest of the swim season. I have never encountered green water before.

Thank you so much

Default Re: New Here...Have Green Clear Water

If you are using chlorine tabs, you are likely driving your stabilizer level up, referred to as CYA. You should check the CYA level and the folks here will be able to give you better direction. You can bring a sample to the pool store and have them test it - but don't buy anything. If they recommend stuff, say thanks or you have some at home, and exit.

To start, even if your CYA is zero, the chlorine level needs to be much higher, and kept high to kill the green. Borax, backwashing, etc. won't do squat unless there is enough chlorine to do the job. Liquid chlorine has no CYA, either bleach or pool chlorine, the only difference is the chlorine % in each. About 3 96 ounce jugs of 6% bleach should bring your chlorine up to around 10+ ppm. I would do this right away, and get some CYA numbers and post them up here.

The mods and regulars know this best, but I just want to highlite that you need the chlorine levels way up to zap the green.
    IG 32' x 16', vinyl 19,500 l, Sand filter, Hawyard Low NOx 250,000 btu heater
    Heating? Great info on why a solar cover saves $$$?
    http://energy.gov/energysaver/articl...ng-pool-covers

drband is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst drband 0

Quote Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
    Hi, I am having a problem with green water in my pool. Here is what I can tell you...

1. I have a 14,000 gal pool
    2. I use chlorine tabs
    3. I have well water but fill my pool with our "soft water" from our home. (pH 7.4)
    4. The water is green but clear, not cloudy, I can see the bottom of the pool floor
    5. Shocked pool for first time 4 days ago, with Super Shock
    6. Added 1/2 box of Borax today.
    7. Last test results- 1 hour ago...Chlorine 1.5 and pH level 7.6
    8. Filter has been running 24/7 and my husband back washes morning and evening.

PLEASE HELP if you can!

Last year I found Ben's site and used Borax to raise my pH and never had another problem the rest of the swim season. I have never encountered green water before.

Thank you so much
    If you'll post a full set of numbers, the forum folks will gladly walk you through the process. We do need to know...

FC
    CC
    TC
    pH
    TA
    CYA
    CH only if plaster
    volume of water
    vinyl or plaster

Good luck.
    (If you don't have a good test kit... you will need one... it will save you money in the long run!)\

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Green but clear isn't usually an algae problem but more often a metals issue. Some questions for you:
    -- Are you topping off the pool from your well?
    -- Filling from your "soft water" may still be introducing metals into the water?
    -- Have you had the water tested for metals?
    -- Have you always filled in the same manner in previous years but never had the green clear water issue?

And, lastly, tell us more about the chlorine tabs. Spefically the name of them and ingredients. Some trichlor tabs have copper in them. You NEVER want to use this type.

Well, I went to the pool store and of course, they were sold out of the "good kits". They are getting more this afternoon, then I will be able to get proper numbers, but I can answer some of them already.

1. I have been using Poolife 3" Cleaning Tablets Stabilized Chlorinator- Ingredients: Trichlore- s-Triazinetrione 99%, other ingredients 1% (Big white tub with orange lid)

2. I use a hose that is hooked up to the water softener to keep the pool full

3. I have never had green water before, sometimes brown, after the slide water is turned all all day, which is well water.

4. I have never had the Copper tested, but last year my test results were: Hardness 100, Iron 0, Manganese No.

It is a fiberglass in ground pool, made of fiberglass.

Ok...Here are my numbers:

FC= .5
    TC= 2
    CC=1.5
    Br=1.5
    Sant. Level 7.5
    pH 7.4
    TA 100
    CH 170
    CYA 50

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

FC + CC = TC, so there is a problem with your chlorine numbers. Maybe try those tests again. Also, if this is a chlorine pool, then you don't have any bromine. (The testers can also be used for bromine pools, and that is why those markings are also on there.)

I'm not sure what you mean by Sant. Level 7.5 ???

PH, TA, CH and CYA are all fine. With a cya level of 50ppm, you need to keep your cl between 3-6 all the time and shock level will be 15ppm.

With cya of 50 and basically no chlorine, you have the perfect conditions for algae to start but typically if there is algae, your water won't be clear and green but more likely murky or cloudy and green (or just cloudy if the algae bloom is just starting.) Clear and green usually does mean metals. But, at any rate, if you do have metals you can deal with that after you get the water balanced. If there are metals present, you may get some staining, but you can clear those up after the water is sanitized.

You need to shock the pool up to about 15 and try and hold it at that level as consistently as you can. Test at least twice (and 3x is better) and each time, add enough bleach to take your cl level back up to 15. Run your pump 24/7 while working to clear the pool. The best times to test and add bleach are early morning and in the evening when the sun is off the pool. If you can do it one or two more times during the day, all the better! When you get to the point where you are losing no more than 1ppm of cl overnight from sundown to sunup, then you can let the cl level drift back down and then keep it between 3-6 all the time.

In a 14,000 gallon pool, each quart of 6% bleach will raise the cl by 1ppm.

Do NOT use any more of the chlorine pucks. They are stabilized which means they have cya in them and you do not want any more cya in your pool. Stick with bleach or liquid chlorine.

Ok, I took the chlorine pucks out! Thank you for that advice.

I'm not sure why my numbers are possibly incorrect, am I understanding this wrong? My FC was .5 and my CC was 1.5. Those together equal 2.0, which was my TC reading. I hate to sound so stupid, I just want to make sure that I'm doing this correctly. UGH!

I see now that I didn't need to do Bromine. Please ignore that reading.

I added 3 gallons of bleach tonight

I tested my cl...it appears my test only goes to 5. However, the color was at 5. I will test again in the morning and then add bleach accordingly.

Thank you for your help.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I'm bothered by the FC of .5 and the CC of 1.5--which means there's definitely something growing in your water if you are running the test correctly.

If you keep getting an FC of .5 and a CC of 1.5 then you should shock your pool's FC up to 15 ppm and keep it there for a couple of days. If you are not running the test wrong then you DO have an algae bloom and you need to kill it, now. Shocking it this way will show if you are running the test wrong or DID have a problem.

If, in fact, you have a metal problem, you can deal with that after you are certain you don't have an algae problem--which means at a minimum CC must be 0.

If, after that, your pool is still green and clear, we can investigate metals in the water.

To summarize:
    1) Let's start by ASSUMING you ran the FC and CC test correctly.

2) Then you need to shock your pool to 15 and keep it there.

3) When (if) CC now drops to zero you had something growing.

4) If your pool is STILL green we then check for metal.
    Carl

OOPS. I misread your chlorine testing numbers. Sorry about that. (Guess my eyes weren't working too well at 12:36 last night!) But, at any rate, the CC of 1.5 is a concern and all the other advice I wrote still stands.

+ Reply to Thread