PDA

View Full Version : Where to place equipment?

dagdouglas
06-27-2010, 04:04 PM
I currently have my pump close to my AG pool where everyone can see, but I am doing some landscaping and thought about moving the pump. My only problem is that I get in and out to turn on and off the pump during vacuuming. I would really like some ideas and pictures you all might have to help me out. Maybe I'm not vacuuming or something right for me to think I need my pump close.

Poconos
06-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Welcome to the forum.

From an operational perspective the pump and filter can be anywhere within a reasonable distance. You can even overcome that restriction with larger diameter pipe to reduce flow resistance. How far were you thinking of relocating the pump and were you going to relocate the filter too? When you think about it you don't need to kill the pump or change filter valve position to start vacuuming. May not even need to do anything to stop vacuuming depending on your hose setup with the skimmer. Only time you need to control the pump and valve is when backwashing and rinsing so that may be just one trip from the pool to the equipment location assuming you don't need to backwash more than once for a vacuuming session.

What are your thoughts? There is nothing that says equipment must be next to the pool.

Al

waste
06-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to climb up on my soapbox but, I don't know why pool owners are afraid to let the world know that they filter and sanitize the pool water! Having the equipment close and visible to the pool is a wonderful thing when you have to work on the entire system!

However, it's your pool and you can hide the system, if you want :cool:

Poconos
06-28-2010, 06:52 AM
Maybe they like to float on a noodle and sleep and the noise keeps them awake. :D
Al

dagdouglas
07-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Oh well. I left it where it was. After shoveling and moving a ton of washed rocks for landscaping around the pool, I just didn't feel the desire to move it anymore. Oh well. I'm sure the question will come up again though. Thanks for the thoughts.

ThaSatelliteGuy
07-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Just a thought...

I am building a deck around my pool, and built a lower floor on part of it to hold my pump and swg, with the sand filter still sitting on the ground on the blind side. Mainly, I did it because under a heavy rain situation, like the recent Alex, I get about a foot of water, and it drowned my equipment. Now it's off the ground, and as soon as I get the lattice up, (removeable of course for easy access) it'll be basically hidden.

I too, thought of moving my equipment, especially since I screwed up and put it right on the visible side of my pool, but after reading about flow considerations, decided I didnt want to attempt to create a headache on purpose. Then I decided you can do alot with decking and landscaping.

CarlD
07-12-2010, 10:35 AM
It's like wives and stereos: "I don't want to see those ugly wires and humongous speakers!" I think "Lifestyle Speakers" were invented just to save marriages! Guys love the thumpin' giant speakers and howitzer-decibel sub-woofers so that you feel like you are IN the battle sequence--to which my wife responds "PLEASE lower the volume! That's giving me a headache!"

We've just remodeled and I put an HT system and...not one wire is visible, unless you hook up a laptop to use the TV as a display. Everything is in the walls, hidden.

Consequently, while my pump and filter are convenient and easy to get to, they are almost impossible to see from the deck, and are blocked by a Rubbermaid trunk that holds all my pool tools.