PDA

View Full Version : Adding CYA

utahpool
06-26-2010, 02:03 PM
What is the proper way to add CYA? I have 4 pounds and my CYA reading is 0. My pool is 17,500 gallons. Also where is the best place to by reagents online? I know this has probably been discussed before but I can't find it. Thanks for your help!

sturev
06-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Amato sells the reagents and has been a great place for me...

Here's a link to their site:
http://www.amatoind.com/taylor-testing-reagents-c-30_35.html

For the CYA, put it in a old sock and hang it in front of a return jet and it will slowly dissolve. You can even squeeze on it every once in a while to help it break down. It will take a while to get in the water and show up on a test. I'd add 3/4 of what you think you need and then wait a week or two and test as you can always add more but removing it means a partial drain and refill :(

utahpool
06-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the advice and the link!

utahpool
06-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Old sock like a nylon or a regular type sock? I'm learning! lol

sturev
06-26-2010, 05:42 PM
I used a old thin white cotton sock, but I'd think nylon would work also...

waterbear
06-26-2010, 05:56 PM
I just slowly pour it into the skimmer with the pump running and let it collect in the filter where it slowly dissolves. Don't backwash or clean the filter for a week. Been doing it for years with no problems (and this is also what I have heard in manufacturer's product trainings).

utahpool
06-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the advice!

aylad
06-26-2010, 07:06 PM
I use the skimmer method, too. I get most of my reagents from http://www.spspools-spas.com. Shipping is quick, prices are good, and they've always been very courteous and helpful-- but then again I call them and tell them what I want, I don't ask them for advice...

Janet

AnnaK
06-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Janet, about SPS, I'm putting together a refill list and thought I'd give them a try but I don't see where they have the Taylor R-0014 pH reagent. Am I just not finding it? Do you get that from them?

aylad
06-26-2010, 10:18 PM
No, I think I got the last one at TaylorTechnologies.com. I have also bought it in the store at Leslie's, when I'm in a pinch

Janet

AnnaK
06-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Leslie's is where I usually get the R-0014 since my preferred online vendor also doesn't carry it.

I wanted to add a 'heads up' in reference to adding CYA slowly via the skimmer. While it will get transported into the filter eventually it first sits in the pump pot for a while. This might be disconcerting to someone who hasn't used the skimmer method previously.

It takes about 20 minutes for my water flow to clear approximately 1 pound CYA out of the pump pot. I have a 2-speed pump and set it on 'high' when I make this addition.

Just file it away in your 'Oh yeah, didn't I read about this?' memory. :)

PBLsQuad450
06-28-2010, 11:58 AM
I have bought on-line from Amato and Taylor directly. Very happy with both. Fast shipping and easy to deal with. Amato has better prices. Riddle me that? Both got me my product in a few days. Amato charged $11.00 for shipping, Taylor shipped free (built-in). Even considering this, Amato was still a good bit cheaper.

waterbear
06-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Leslie's is where I usually get the R-0014 since my preferred online vendor also doesn't carry it.

I wanted to add a 'heads up' in reference to adding CYA slowly via the skimmer. While it will get transported into the filter eventually it first sits in the pump pot for a while. This might be disconcerting to someone who hasn't used the skimmer method previously.

It takes about 20 minutes for my water flow to clear approximately 1 pound CYA out of the pump pot. I have a 2-speed pump and set it on 'high' when I make this addition.

Just file it away in your 'Oh yeah, didn't I read about this?' memory. :)

LIke I said, add it SLOWLY!;) I put about a half cup at a time in and wait a bit before adding more.

utahpool
06-28-2010, 12:09 PM
I added CYA by the sock method. I would like to know what the acceptable chemical balances would be for my type of pool;

I have a gunite IG 14 x 28 approx 17500 gals:

My latest readings:

Chlorine 1
Ph 7.2
Alk 100
CH 160
CYA Just added and am waiting before testing.

My Ph, Alk, CH have dropped alittle from a few days ago. Any advice on what levels to achieve and maintain? Thanks much!

polyvue
06-28-2010, 01:26 PM
I would like to know what the acceptable chemical balances would be for my type of pool;

I have a gunite IG 14 x 28 approx 17500 gals:

My latest readings:

Chlorine 1
Ph 7.2
Alk 100
CH 160
CYA Just added and am waiting before testing.

My Ph, Alk, CH have dropped alittle from a few days ago. Any advice on what levels to achieve and maintain? Thanks much!
I can't believe there isn't a sticky on recommended levels (I looked but couldn't locate one)!

Unless there was a lot of water lost from your pool this week the drop in Calcium Hardness is probably due to testing variability.

Free Chlorine (FC) should be aligned to your target/actual CYA level. See this chart (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=365) or target a minimum FC of 5% of CYA (SWG) or 8% of CYA (no SWG). For example, if you have added enough CYA to achieve a 50 PPM level, keep Free Chlorine at or above 2.5 (if pool is chlorinated by SWG or liquid chlorine automation), 4 PPM otherwise.

So, chlorine appears to be too low. pH is within acceptable range, TA is fine, CH could probably come up a bit. I like to use the Pool Calculator (http://www.poolcalculator.com/) to determine the saturation index when trying to balance Alkalinity, calcium hardness, pH, salt etc. It will also display recommended levels if you enter the type of pool you have.